• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

The EXTRA 300 EXT Build Thread

AKfreak

150cc
A question on the Robat hinges, but first off, let me say that I have never built with these hinges before. Also with a CA hinge, the gap set between the rear leading edge of the wing and the control surface kind of sets the maximum deflection possible of the control surface.

I also understand that the mating edges of the control surfaces also play a role on how much defection is achievable. Is there any sort of trick to maximize deflection with a Robart style hinge. (I don't want huge gaps, but I want a bunch of deflection). Sorry if I made this question difficult to follow.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
It looks like you just need to find a hinge tutorial to follow. I think those hinges are fine. They look the same as the ones that come pre-installed on the Aerobeez planes and I have not had any trouble with them. They function fine and when glued in with epoxy they are way stronger than a CA hinge. As far as setting the gap you just do a dry fit before you glue them to ensure the hinge gap you want is achievable.

Glue the hinges in on one side and let it cure before you do the other side. If it makes you more comfortable, use a slower cure epoxy to give yourself more time to work.

You got this ;)

AKfreak

150cc
Well I didn't get to start hinging yet. I did thin CA the entire plane, Ironed all of the seams, and prepared the hinges. As I stated before, this is an Extreme Budget kit, so it comes with aluminum landing gear. Just the aluminum legs were a tad it heavy. At 142 grams as compared to e carbon set the same size weighing 96 grams, I decided to make some mods.

13237868834_cf09fd6f7a_c.jpg

Un modded (Legs Only)

13237686903_5a17ec581e_c.jpg

After Mods (Legs Only)

13237547275_6b34fe8c27_c.jpg

I drilled some holes. Some all the way through, some not. I king of like the way they turned out (Custom).

13237686113_c37df55bc5_c.jpg

Then I installed the wheels and pants.

13237687973_20ce188794_c.jpg

Next on the plane. If I don't end up liking them, I will just black them out and or throw on the $28 carbon ones.

BTW, to me this is a big plane and I am excited to see it fly, but I have a long way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Cool idea on the gear. Definitely made it lighter, and it really makes the gear go from ugly to attractive/

My only concern now would be the disruption in airflow over the openings causing some turbulent air to pass up towards the tail, and just create drag in general.

Might be worthwhile to affix some covering or a long, thin sticker over the holes (yeah, I know it takes the cool look away) to keep them smooth.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Nice job lightening the landing gear. I think it looks cool. I guess the extra drag could end up affecting things... my first impulse would be to think the effects would be negligible... but you never know until you try. An easy test would be to just put packing tape over it and see if it changes.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I don't think the dimples will make any noticeable difference at all. I would not sweat it if it were me, they do look good. I am surprised you knocked the weight down that much. I dont think you will notice it either though. Such a small amount on a large airframe. These small changes add up though!