• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Fellas I've been speculating about a deadstick I had last time out. I would like your opinion. Do you think it could have sucked a big air bubble? I held a KE spin for a long time and it was really wound up. I was thinking about the fact that the tank is forward of the CG. With the plane spinning that fast I am sure the gas was all at the front of the tank. Do you think maybe the clunk was out of the gas enough to make it suck a bunch of air? There was an EZ connector on the throttle linkage that I initially blamed becasue it was definitly not functioning after the crash... but the whole bottom of the motorbox kind of blew out. It would have taken a pretty strong connection to NOT break in that impact. I've been thinking maybe it was caused by something else... like a really long KE spin (at least 7 or 8 seconds of spinning with about 3/4 - full throttle).

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

Fellas I've been speculating about a deadstick I had last time out. I would like your opinion. Do you think it could have sucked a big air bubble? I held a KE spin for a long time and it was really wound up. I was thinking about the fact that the tank is forward of the CG. With the plane spinning that fast I am sure the gas was all at the front of the tank. Do you think maybe the clunk was out of the gas enough to make it suck a bunch of air? There was an EZ connector on the throttle linkage that I initially blamed becasue it was definitly not functioning after the crash... but the whole bottom of the motorbox kind of blew out. It would have taken a pretty strong connection to NOT break in that impact. I've been thinking maybe it was caused by something else... like a really long KE spin (at least 7 or 8 seconds of spinning with about 3/4 - full throttle).

Nate, your idea sounds sound to me. That is a pretty well wrapped KE spin. Was it toward the tail end of the flight? Little fuel in the tank?
Without a little "little black box" it's hard to know. No NTSB report to reference either. I would sleep better with your explanation. However, as our friend [MENTION=271]Enterprise[/MENTION] says "they all have expiration dates"! Sometimes we just shrug the shoulders and move on. Was it the 78? Bummer. Bet it looked good in that spin!

3dNater

Nate, your idea sounds sound to me. That is a pretty well wrapped KE spin. Was it toward the tail end of the flight? Little fuel in the tank?
Without a little "little black box" it's hard to know. No NTSB report to reference either. I would sleep better with your explanation. However, as our friend [MENTION=271]Enterprise[/MENTION] says "they all have expiration dates"! Sometimes we just shrug the shoulders and move on. Was it the 78? Bummer. Bet it looked good in that spin!
This was my new to me 3dhs 72 Extra. The plane survived pretty well. I was able to get it flat for a pancake landing that broke the landing gear, wheel pants, wheels, cracked cowl, and a little motorbox damage. I had spares of everything but the cowl so I didn't even have to go shopping ;) when we went out to get the plane it looked like I could just dust it off and fly it again.

As far as fuel, it had more than half a tank left. But this was no ordinary KE spin :D. I have about 75 degrees of down elevator throw and this thing really winds up. It is easily spinning as fast as my 51" slick used to.

Another thought could be that the motor got hot. I had been adjusting the LSN a little prior to that flight because it was really rich. There is a new Bowman ring in there with less than a gallon of run-time too. Lots of things that could go wrong lol. uploadfromtaptalk1428760012883.jpg

dth7

This was my new to me 3dhs 72 Extra. The plane survived pretty well. I was able to get it flat for a pancake landing that broke the landing gear, wheel pants, wheels, cracked cowl, and a little motorbox damage. I had spares of everything but the cowl so I didn't even have to go shopping ;) when we went out to get the plane it looked like I could just dust it off and fly it again.

As far as fuel, it had more than half a tank left. But this was no ordinary KE spin :D. I have about 75 degrees of down elevator throw and this thing really winds up. It is easily spinning as fast as my 51" slick used to.

Another thought could be that the motor got hot. I had been adjusting the LSN a little prior to that flight because it was really rich. There is a new Bowman ring in there with less than a gallon of run-time too. Lots of things that could go wrong lol.View attachment 34218

Good to hear it was salvageable! Don't go nuts trying to figure it out. Could have been all those things or a combination of them. Rock on!
Next time video of that "spin cycle" KE spin. Maybe call it a "Maytag" since the repair man had to come out!

Watts are simply amps x volts. So in your case, 40 x 24 = 960 watts.

The thing that you have to take into consideration is efficiency losses. A 1,000 watt generator may not give you a sustained 960 watts due to inefficiency in the system.

3dNater

Not only that, but if you are pushing the genny to it's capacity it is working really hard.. better to get a 1500 watt generator to have some head-room.