• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
I am back! Not that anyone remembers me! LOL...Hey great to see all you guys.......Good to see familiar faces...Just dropped a NIB 65" Yellow V2 ARF on the board after selling my 64" MXS BNF Today. Had to realize I am not proficient enough to handle these "intense" planes so I am going to be rocking a Carbon Z CUB 88"(GASP) as our airfield is on top of a hill and we always have 10-25kt winds. So three points....Glad to be back...I am not the Pilot I thought I was and better to be flying a 88" Carbon Z Cub than splintering balsa and doing the walk of shame!:facepalm:

How was your gig? Didn't you got to Africa or some such place?

I recommend you use the funds for that MXS to get an EF 60" Edge 540T. That is the most stable 3D plane I have ever flown. I mean it pretty much harriers itself. And if you set it up with triple rates you can have one of the best flying sport planes on the market! As your skills progress, its ready to go with you!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
How was your gig? Didn't you got to Africa or some such place?

I recommend you use the funds for that MXS to get an EF 60" Edge 540T. That is the most stable 3D plane I have ever flown. I mean it pretty much harriers itself. And if you set it up with triple rates you can have one of the best flying sport planes on the market! As your skills progress, its ready to go with you!

+1 for sure. I always strongly recommend sim, foamie, EF 60" (Edge, Laser or Extra) low rates to start (cortex makes it all the better if you have the $- props to Yellowjacket!). Of course a friend/ instructor on a buddy box never hurts (to avoid splinters those first few flights). This will give you practice at home, practice and durability in the yard or park or flying field and with the 60" balsa a pussycat on low rates w high expo and more performance than you'll need to grow into. Once you get the confidence you will gain then expand the hangar and have fun. The foamies and harrier 3 D flying will teach you more about rudder use than any trainer or cub. When you get those skills you'll have that much more fun with the Cubs and warbirds and anything else you want to fly. Don't give up and always have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Thanks Mike!

Yes.. dropped the Vyper on there and its great to be back amongst friends!

Ciao Greg

Greg we have to get together and fly...I can fly you on buddy cord on any of my planes...even my 50cc gassers! ;)
do you have an instructor pilot at your field?
I am an instructor pilot in our club...you are welcome to visit any time!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
So who here has used an Earthquake Generator?

http://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-11613-Portable-Generator-Compliant/dp/B00FL89I2W

There's lots of good reviews, and the price is right... Seems to be quiet, efficient, certainly is lightweight..

I haven't but that seems like a cool little setup! We put up 5 solar panels connected to a few deep cycle storage batteries for power at our field which works awesome. Not sure if that's the reason for the generator but I think our setup rocks!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I haven't but that seems like a cool little setup! We put up 5 solar panels connected to a few deep cycle storage batteries for power at our field which works awesome. Not sure if that's the reason for the generator but I think our setup rocks!

Yeah I need a plentiful bunch of power at my club, we don't want to put solar panels on the roof since we get a lot of thieves around there. Not sure there are any panels that can handle 500w+ and run 24 volts for the same price as the generator??

Last edited by a moderator:

Suds

50cc
Yeah I need a plentiful bunch of power at my club, we don't want to put solar panels on the roof since we get a lot of thieves around there. Not sure there are any panels that can handle 500w+ and run 24 volts for the same price as the generator??
A generator will almost always be less expensive than a solar system.

We are upgrading from a 50w 12v solar setup to a new 200w 24v + 12v setup using 8 deep cycle batteries for storage but we had a member able to free source the deep cycle batteries from commercial fire alarm systems (by code they need to replace every 3 years).

Our solar system is several thousand dollars, but it will put out 700 watts just off the panels. There are 4 big deep cycles there. Have not run out of power yet any day I have been there. You can really see the voltage spike back up when the sun comes out and hits the panels.

I have a Yamaha 2k in the trailer, but it is nice not having to get it out.

The little earthquake seems pretty nice for a portable setup. Not sure I would leave in my SUV on a hot day, but 800 watts will feed charging 4 6s5000s so you could fly every 15 mins with a 7X" plane or every 30 with a bigger 12s 5000 setup at 1C charge rates.