• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Splitting Cowls made easy

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I know that my resin allows me to do some light handling after about 4 hours so I like to separate the halves before the resin is fully cured. It will take a little bit of pulling and maybe some compressed air but take your time. I will say that the electrical tape and pam cooking spray POS test cowl showed really excellent results!! I used 1 1/4" electrical tape, sprayed pam on there and lightly sread it out evenly with a shop rag. I am impressed with the results......enough so that I may somewhat adopt that method in the future. Please note the test cowl was cut with a tin-snips so the cut looks a little rough.

After these cure overnight the edges can be sanded and any loose fibers can be trimmed off.

Maybe as soon as this weekend I'll get to start working on installing these, but most likely next week. I'll show a couple of different options for installation of the mounting screws.

Attachments

• _DSC0032.JPG
    _DSC0032.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 771
  • _DSC0033.JPG
    _DSC0033.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 665
  • _DSC0034.JPG
    _DSC0034.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 701
  • _DSC0035.JPG
    _DSC0035.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 626
  • _DSC0036.JPG
    _DSC0036.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 695
  • _DSC0037.JPG
    _DSC0037.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 673
  • _DSC0038.JPG
    _DSC0038.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 774
  • _DSC0039.JPG
    _DSC0039.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 623
  • _DSC0040.JPG
    _DSC0040.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 659
  • _DSC0041.JPG
    _DSC0041.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 670

Torquerolljoe

Wannabe Pilot!!
I see you use West Systems Epoxy 105/205. Can this same epoxy be used for glassing a plane? will it sand easily? Thanks for the DIY instructions for splitting a cowl!!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I see you use West Systems Epoxy 105/205. Can this same epoxy be used for glassing a plane? will it sand easily? Thanks for the DIY instructions for splitting a cowl!!

Yes, same thing for glassing a plane making cowls, etc. however the 205 is the fast hardener so I would use the slow hardener for glassing a plane so you have more time. It would have to be thinned for glassing but I'm not a pro on that so can't say how much. For glassing a canopy deck I normally thin about 25% with alcohol.

Torquerolljoe

Wannabe Pilot!!
Yes, same thing for glassing a plane making cowls, etc. however the 205 is the fast hardener so I would use the slow hardener for glassing a plane so you have more time. It would have to be thinned for glassing but I'm not a pro on that so can't say how much. For glassing a canopy deck I normally thin about 25% with alcohol.
Thanks!

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
The 105/206 works great for glassing planes. Thining for me depends on thickness of glass used. I have done it both ways with great results.

I ordered the fiberglass tape mentioned in Terrys post and it is really nice with stitched edging so no loose fibers. Waiting for the next instructional update to mounting the cowl half's . Great learning tutorial