• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Splitting Cowls made easy

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
PVA works great, but as per the instructions on most PVA you need to put multiple coats. If resin stuck....there was not enough PVA. The only way resin can seep under tape is if A: The tape is crap or B: The tape was not pushed down nice and tight along the edge of the cut or C: The gap was not pulled tight when taping the two halves together. For an added safety line a person could also use fineline masking tape along the edge.

Point is, the wetted out cloth should not be dripping wet with resin when you put it on, just "wetted" out. Lightly tap it in place without trying to smash it down and resin will not go through. As a last call preventative measure a guy could always put about a 1/4" brush of PVA on the outside as well. Test it though as some china paint does not like alcohol.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
It seems to have worked. Cowl came apart clean; it took a little effort though but not to the point that I thought I may break/crack the cowl.

The halves match up nicely and the fit between the two is snug.............over all, great results for my first attempt at anything like this.

Terry........thanks for your guidance and time to put together the videos. I ordered some 4-40 and 6-32 t-nuts from Trimcraft Aviation this morning, not sure which size will be best for this size cowl. They should be here by Saturday, if so I can get this project finished this weekend and get the cowl ready to paint.

Glassed Lip.jpg

Torquerolljoe

Wannabe Pilot!!
This was first time using pva. I sprayed three coats using my spray gun and I thought it was enough. You live and learn!

Thanks for the tips! I'll get it right eventually.:attaboy:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
This was first time using pva. I sprayed three coats using my spray gun and I thought it was enough. You live and learn!

Thanks for the tips! I'll get it right eventually.:attaboy:

Interesting. Honestly I sprayed mine because I had five cowls to join together but normally I brush it on for just one cowl.