• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

-= SLiCKNeSS SiCKNeSS =-

I have a question for the Slick history buffs.

I have a 51 slick in the old Fantasy Blue (Crimson Bovine) scheme. I love the plane, but I don't fly it much due to the fact of how pretty it is and how little I want to smash it.

If I were to retire the airframe to my office ceiling and get a new one, what are the changes? I keep hearing that the new ones are not as nice as the older ones, but I don't understand how.

I know the 71 slick has some changes from the 70. The 89 flies the best of all the slicks, and the 59 the worst from my experience. I have flown all of them from the 104 to the 51. Somehow missed the 42. Seen the 126 a few times and it is blimp. It needs a motor that does not yet exist, maybe the DA-250.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

I have a question for the Slick history buffs.

I have a 51 slick in the old Fantasy Blue (Crimson Bovine) scheme. I love the plane, but I don't fly it much due to the fact of how pretty it is and how little I want to smash it.

If I were to retire the airframe to my office ceiling and get a new one, what are the changes? I keep hearing that the new ones are not as nice as the older ones, but I don't understand how.

I know the 71 slick has some changes from the 70. The 89 flies the best of all the slicks, and the 59 the worst from my experience. I have flown all of them from the 104 to the 51. Somehow missed the 42. Seen the 126 a few times and it is blimp. It needs a motor that does not yet exist, maybe the DA-250.

Matt,
There are no substantive changes in the 51 Slick from the beginning, other than color schemes, IIRC. I do know that some cf bracing was added at some point, but the basic design is the same.
Retire the old one, get a new one; you will be glad you did.

I was flying my 89" Slick with the crimson bovine color scheme this weekend on the DLE-55RA. It still flies awesome; as I get better, it gets better too. ;)
Over the winter I'm going to replace the DLE-55RA with the GP-61...then it should be as you like to say, "stupid power".
Although my buddy John (that you met in Tulsa) put a BME 110 in his 89" Slick and he said that was "stupid power". John is a power addict so for him to say it was stupid power, it must have been really insanely stupid power. ;)

Anyway, I digress. 3DHS has done nothing bad to the 51 Slick...retire yours and get a new one...it is a great winter plane to leave in the car in case you get one of those cold crisp winter mornings with no wind. :)

:flyer:

njswede

150cc
Speaking of slickness sickness... I think I got it pretty bad... Too bad I'm 6'2 and 240 lbs. It doesn't look big enough next to me!
uploadfromtaptalk1414462706220.jpguploadfromtaptalk1414462706220.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414462721014.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414462721014.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 301

ryan_m

100cc
The landing gear area got the carbon rod reinforcements on the v2 51's I think. That's about it other than new schemes.