• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Power systems/ Hitec A9?

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
I finally ordered a powerbox competition for my edge. It looked like the programming would be a little easier than smart fly and it has a built in display. Hopefully the powerbox jives with my a9.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I finally ordered a powerbox competition for my edge. It looked like the programming would be a little easier than smart fly and it has a built in display. Hopefully the powerbox jives with my a9.

We've had team pilots use them before, you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever! :)

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I feel for ya, Futaba just came out with their power safe RX. When is Hitec going to move to a 12ch and a power safe RX to simplify everything? I won't be switching to a Hitec TX but I do have people asking for advice now and then. Didn't realize how little I knew about Hitec transmitter this this last weekend:oblong:. Even dual HD leads in with onboard batt. share and 9ch out would make a 100cc plane much much easier for these guy's.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
I love my a9 but it just gets a little tricky with the bigger planes. The minute they come out with a bigger radio there will be a vapor trail from my house to the hobbyshop to pick it up. Two power input leads separate from the servo slots would really be awesome on the 9 channels for now.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I feel for ya, Futaba just came out with their power safe RX. When is Hitec going to move to a 12ch and a power safe RX to simplify everything? I won't be switching to a Hitec TX but I do have people asking for advice now and then. Didn't realize how little I knew about Hitec transmitter this this last weekend:oblong:. Even dual HD leads in with onboard batt. share and 9ch out would make a 100cc plane much much easier for these guy's.

A 'powersafe' style receiver with a heavy duty BUS inside and dual input leads is something that has come across our radar and could possibly be something in the works since there seems to be a demand for it, but I'm not aware of anything actually being considered as an addition to our receiver lineup right now. I have attempted to add in my own heavy duty wiring directly to the BUS inside of our Optima 9 to see if it could be done, however the way the Optima 9 is designed, it would not be possible. It will take a re-design.

I know we need something with more than 9 channels, preferably 10-15 channels for the giant scale guys. We just released 2 new transmitters aimed at the beginner market though so having a higher channel transmitter might be in the works. Again, I'm not aware of anything right now.

Setting up a 100cc right now is already a bit tricky to get everything right as you could max out the 9 channel system very easily being that you typically need 4 aileron servos, 2 elevator, a rudder, throttle, and electronic ignition kill. You have to y-harness your power inputs, which actually works fine as long as you're using HD y-harnesses with at least 80 strand count, and space the harnesses out (rather than plugging them in right next to each other).

I love my a9 but it just gets a little tricky with the bigger planes.

What kind of issues are you having??

Last edited:

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
The servos don't seem to have the spine centered the same way on each servo. I programmed them so not a super big deal. Then I tried programming them to match with a y harness but when you hook them up to the radio, the radio has a different center than the programmer does. Then above all after a y harness, you have an opti kill for the engine and 2 batteries coming in a channel each....no room for smoke.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The servos don't seem to have the spine centered the same way on each servo. I programmed them so not a super big deal. Then I tried programming them to match with a y harness but when you hook them up to the radio, the radio has a different center than the programmer does. Then above all after a y harness, you have an opti kill for the engine and 2 batteries coming in a channel each....no room for smoke.

Servos are partially hand assembled which is why the splines do not center exactly the same. That is why you have to use either a servo programmer or sub trim in your transmitter in order to get them to be perfectly neutral.

Which centerpoint are you using in the programmer? I'm assuming you're using a Hitec transmitter (uses 1500μs as a center point).

Here is how I have my 100cc setup:

Channel 1: Throttle with Y input for Fromeco cap pack/volt meter
Channel 2: Elevator
Channel 3: Elevator
Channel 4: Rudder with Y input for power
Channel 5: Aileron
Channel 6: Aileron
Channel 7: Aileron
Channel 8: Aileron
Channel 9: Rudder with Y input for power

(I have 2 rudder servos in an SWB tray, they can be Y'd into the receiver and programmed for perfect geometry)

If I were to use smoke and an optical kill:

Channel 1: Throttle
Channel 2: Elevator
Channel 3: Elevator
Channel 4: Rudder with Y input for power
Channel 5: Left ailerons Y'd together (programmed for neutral center and end points)
Channel 6: Right ailerons Y'd together (programmed for neutral center and end points)
Channel 7: Smoke pump
Channel 8: Power input with Y for Fromeco cap pack/volt meter
Channel 9: Electronic ignition kill

Just some suggestions on how you can get around the 9 channel limitations. As long as you use HD y-harnesses, extensions, and gold plated connectors, then you won't have any issues, something with at least 80 strand count inside.

Fun fact about the individual strands in HD servo wiring:

It takes 1 amp to blow a 1" strand.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
I tried a y harness on each of my elevator servos and intermittently one elevator servo would go to full deflection all on its own with no radio input!!!! Why would it do that? After that I figured the y with battery was a bad idea.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
I can only set a couple of the servos at 1500 because like I said, the splines don't center the same. As far as subtrim, you cant subtrim servos individually when they are y'd. I notice on your setup, you don't use an optical kill for the ignition? I really like to have the option to shut that ignition off without having to subtrim the throttle till it chokes. If i have the throttle servo fry I can kill that engine on approach.