• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Power systems/ Hitec A9?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
If your servos don't center properly, then that is an issue with the servo. Bottlenecking is not an issue, like I said we have guys running the setup I described without issue, even up into the 40% class. We have guys running a y-harness inside each wing as well. Spencer Nordquist has 2 servos in each wing half on his 35% PAU's and is using a y-harness to connect the 4 servos into 2 channels. Look where he stood last year ;)

emtp275

100cc
From my experience the servos dont center right using a y harness. I have also had a few other people have the same issue.
I havent noticed this but I also use this on the first and last CH, I have only used the CHs for an Opti or somthing of that nature maybe smoke system, I have never pluged a servo into the Y that may cause an issue if there were a failure. On Hitec and futaba this is possible as you can assign a ch to be used for any thing, I cant speak for the new JR or Spektrum radios

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
Make sure you have the latest firmware in your Optima 9 before you run the optical kill.

If all is good, then run the optical kill and plug in a pair of y-harnesses into the receiver to give you some space to run your 2 receiver batteries into. We have pilots doing that with zero issues whatsoever.

Powerbox should work without issue.

Alternatively you can run a y-harness on each wing panel to parallel the servos together and reduce the number of channels needed- don't forget to program the servos so they don't bind.
I was told that by Mayberry also, but I need to run an opti and smoke so I will need a power expander/box. I always keep up on the updates. I am running the smart fly opti on my hempel cub and never a problem. I absolutely love my a9. My frustration is that hitec has really not offered anything new to expand the capabilities in the large planes. They don't offer more than a 9 channel. When smart fly and powerbox list what is compatible with their systems, Hitec is not listed. I truly do think the a9 is the best radio for the money, hands down. I just wish hitec would offer the sbus/ expanding type setups.

yakken

100cc
If your servos don't center properly, then that is an issue with the servo. Bottlenecking is not an issue, like I said we have guys running the setup I described without issue, even up into the 40% class. We have guys running a y-harness inside each wing as well. Spencer Nordquist has 2 servos in each wing half on his 35% PAU's and is using a y-harness to connect the 4 servos into 2 channels. Look where he stood last year ;)
Spencer is an awesome pilot [emoji106] . I was just sharing what i have seen with y harnesses.

yakken

100cc
Way easier, cause when you program them it never matches your radio end points when running dual servo setups to get the correct geometry.

Spencer is an awesome pilot [emoji106] . I was just sharing what i have seen with y harnesses.

I ran Y's for many years, long before balancing features in our radio systems for Ailerons and Rudder. Sure, you can't match the end points extremely well, but you can get it "very close". I never noticed any issues with the Y's. I'm even considering doing a "Y" harness set up again, just to prove that it can still be done.