• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I've owned a Pilot 100cc Yak for 3-4 years, it is a great plane. Also owned it's predecessor, the Aviation Models (?) Yak and flew it for 5 or 6 years before it's demise. Both great planes. I would order another Pilot Yak with no hesitation.

Joe Hunt

150cc
I've owned a Pilot 100cc Yak for 3-4 years, it is a great plane. Also owned it's predecessor, the Aviation Models (?) Yak and flew it for 5 or 6 years before it's demise. Both great planes. I would order another Pilot Yak with no hesitation.

Good to know, dhal22! a.k.a. Al ;)

Joe Hunt

150cc
Didn't get much done tonight (things are looking sketch for a weekend maiden). I started by gluing in the firewall. I used Zap 30 minute epoxy. I've always used Zap. What do you guys use? I guess Bob Smith is good, too, yeah? I got this at microfasteners.com in the big bottles. I've always used the small ones but the way I'm going through the stuff lately, the big bottles are working out well. haha

20151104_154844.jpg

I was talking to Dave Johnson today... you know, I really can't believe how nice and upbeat and positive that guy is after all these years of dealing with us modelers. He was just a treat to talk to... like always for the last 14 years I've known him. No wonder everyone is so loyal to him, he's awesome. Anyway, we were talking about baffling... so somehow that great vibe he puts out got associated with baffling in my sub-conscience. So, I hung up from him and had this visceral need to do some serious baffling to this one piece cowl. That Dave it good, man. haha Anyway, that slowed my progress big time, and this is as far as I've gotten on it. I'm trying to have all the baffling be on the motorbox (while still having the engine removable).

20151104_231146.jpg 20151104_182048.jpg 20151104_223454.jpg

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I was thinking about getting the Pilot 100cc Yak54 next. I wonder if it is as light as the Pilot 100cc Edge? And/or which one is the better plane...

Weighed my 100cc Pilot yak one day, it came out at about 36lb I think on a foot scale. Probably not super precise but it gives you an idea. The airplane flies light as a feather though. The only thing that I can get rid of to save more weight is the ProFlow cans, swap to mufflers- I could also delete the SWB rudder tray but I like having 2 servos for redundancy.