• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey @Joe Hunt & @Notorious B.E.N. ,

I'm no Bill Hempel, but FWIW, a good friend of mine has been flying almost exclusively 3W motors for allot longer than I've watched him fly. In the 15+ years that I have watched him, I have only seen one ignition module of his go bad, and that was on one of his 3W28's about six years ago. I've heard other people the same thing about 3W ignitions, but I would bet EVERY manufacturer has made a few faulty ignition modules.

Joe,

Your Extra looks AWESOME. Between you and @stangflyer talking about them, I may have to try a Pilot ARF. I saw one when they first came out and I was not impressed with their quality at all at that time. Obviously, they must have improved.

Keep up the AWESOME work . . . . . :yesss:
Just my opinion, but when I can cartwheel an airframe and all I get is minor damage, (didn't even break my Falcon...that would really have pi... me off)...I am a happy camper. The Pilot airframes are built light but very durable. Compared to my PAU with carbon copy setup, my 100cc size Edge is over 2 pounds lighter. I had a friend watch both the planes while I had them in high alpha harrier's. The Edge just planted and was so rock solid. I do like the Pilot airframes.

Last edited:

Joe Hunt

150cc
I like a little more gap than recommended too.

Are you putting the RE3's in this one too?

Pilot RC actually recommends a pretty big gap... up to 1/2" they show. I didn't like the sound of that so I went 1/8"... on my Carden's I would go 1/16"... but sometimes they would rub a little. :oops:

Yes, the plan is RE3's... that could hold me up a bit, we'll see, hopefully I'll look into what is required later today. :too-cool:

Joe Hunt

150cc
Just my opinion, but when I can cartwheel an airframe and all I get is minor damage, (didn't even break my Falcon...that would really have pi... me off)...I am a happy camper. The Pilot airframes are built light but very durable. Compared to my PAU with carbon copy setup, my 100cc size Edge is over 2 pounds lighter. I had a friend watch both the planes while I had them in high alpha harrier's. The Edge just planted and was so rock solid. I do like the Pilot airframes.

So, you're saying your Pilot RC Edge is 2-lbs lighter than your PAU plane (is it an Edge, too?)?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I trial fitted the motor without gluing in the firewall:

View attachment 44561

The Pilot manual said to space out the engine 1/4"-1/2", but I went with an 1/8" for looks. :sneaky:

View attachment 44562

Also, I wanted to make mention of the material used for the firewall. It's much harder and has many more layers than either the H9 Sukhoi or AW Yak. It has at least 8 layers and is super hard. I usually epoxy in my blindnuts but I thought to myself, "no need."

View attachment 44564
That looks awesome. I try to set 1/16 to 1/8 clearance. So far no rubbing. I do like a tight fit!!!!
:spongebob:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So, you're saying your Pilot RC Edge is 2-lbs lighter than your PAU plane (is it an Edge, too?)?
Yes, about 2 lbs, 6 oz. lighter. The PAU was a 106" 300. The only addition to the Edge is I built a shaped to fit wooden block to mount the 111 to. It sandwichs between the motor and the firewall. It was the easiest resolution to extending the motor out where it needed to be since I originally cut the motor box back to accommodate the DLA 128 4 cylinder.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Yes, about 2 lbs, 6 oz. lighter. The PAU was a 106" 300. The only addition to the Edge is I built a shaped to fit wooden block to mount the 111 to. It sandwichs between the motor and the firewall. It was the easiest resolution to extending the motor out where it needed to be since I originally cut the motor box back to accommodate the DLA 128 4 cylinder.

I was thinking about getting the Pilot 100cc Yak54 next. I wonder if it is as light as the Pilot 100cc Edge? And/or which one is the better plane...

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've seen a few of the 150cc+ size yaks and they do very well. Edges obviously excel at full stall and stability but suffer drawing clean lines, where the Yak will roll like it's on a spindle and draw nice lines. Only bummer with the yak is that blasted low stab. Cut in a new stab tube location on that bugger and instantly boost your post stall performance:yesss:

Funk stabs is the only thing that's kept me from trying the 330SC and Yaks by Pilot.