• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Joe Hunt

150cc
It's like a F'n science project. :mad:

20151105_205027.jpg 20151105_205654.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
First off, do we even need all this baffling if it's not a four cylinder? 3W would send me killer built planes with so many details installed, but no baffling, and they are an engine company. I have always just ran a lower ledge piece and that's all and my engines have always run cool. Although I do run them a little rich. After the first ten gallons on a new engine, when I shoot the engines with a variety of temp guns I get an average of 135F upon landing. Second, are these motors running at 150 degrees Fahrenheit, like the temp guns say, or or they running 350 degrees Fahrenheit like the guys with telemetry sensors are saying? I can hold onto my heads right after I land... doesn't seem like 350 degrees to me.

Anyway, I mostly did this baffling job for Tony Russo because he told me baffling is a big deal. And, I like Tony because he's ornery. hehe

I went with an 1/8" gap in the front because that's what I usually do. And, I went with 3/8" in the back because that's what Dave Johnson said works well:

20151105_220217aaa.jpg

I didn't like how the cantilevered plywood was bouncing around so I used some velcro over the prop shaft housing to snug it up:

20151105_230126web.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Baffling is mandatory to protect your investment with any twin. Your temp gun is not accurate when used on a reflective surface and temps on ground are not indicative of what you get on a basic up line or in certain maneuvers. Baffling is cheaper than telemetry and a safe investment. The way you did it is professional and very impressive looking but exsessive for a twin. A simple four sided structure off the front of the cowl that closes off the open are on all four sides of the head is quite adequate and pays huge dividends.

Baffling is important but I see some really elaborate jobs with twins. I think if you're getting air to the front of the cylinders and keeping it from immediately going down upon entering the cowl, you're probably good to go.