• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

Bipenut53

150cc
That is totally up in the air right now. Have a lot of irons in the fire with getting my motovan and bike ready for this season. Both should be ready to go within the next couple weeks , then I'll start figuring out what planes I can get going again and what spare time I have. Man , I'll tell you what.....letting my stuff sit for 5yrs , I forget exactly what I have and where I put it. Came across a few boxes yesterday that were little gold mines I completely forgot about. Bunch of servo's , ESC's , spinners and tons of misc hardware. I really have to figure out all what I have and where to use it. My motovan should make a great plane hauler as well , as the wheel chalks come in and out and give me the full inside of the van open to put a bunch of stuff in there. About 11'-8" to the cage behind the seats.

View attachment 37674

Oh yeah that should work like a dream! I have a 96 Chev 3/4 ton 4wd that I use, it also is my 5th wheel hauler. Most of the time I have a canopy on it so I can put the airplanes in there and it becomes a pain when I need to haul my 5th wheel, taking that canopy off is not a whole lot of fun. But I can throw my airplanes in the 5th wheel and go where I want. We live out in the middle of nowhere. We dont have a club but I do belong to the Wenatchee Red Apple flyers but that is a 95 mile one way trip. It will be nice to load up my planes in the 5th wheel and go to Wenatchee because they have RV hook ups and dont charge if there is no event. There is a lot of clubs in your area and I think you will be able to find one fairly close to you. When we fly around here, we have a buddy who has a private airstrip we use, it is long and no trees, just sage brush and weeds. The runway is covered in finely crushed granite, kind of a pain but its only 10 miles from here.

tmulligan

New to GSN!
I'm new to learning aerobatics. 62 years old. Been flying RC for about 2 years. For aerobatics, I'm using a UCanDo 3D and just maidened a Phoenix Models Hero 3D. I live in rural America so I have no flying buddies, mentors, or AMA sanctioned field. I fly alone behind my house on about 40 acres but with a few trees that often seem to be in the way.

I can do loops, rolls, inverted flight, knife edge, positive spins, snap rolls, stalls, pop tops, and finally learned the Lomcevak. Trying to harrier with limited success. I rarely get a flat spin. And, can't seem to grasp the blender.

I wish I lived next door to AJ or some other expert. But, you have to play the cards you're dealt.

Tom

cam4569

70cc twin V2
Well done on the self taught stuff, not sure i could do those things without a coach. How do you like your u can do? Is it the newer sf style? Are you using a simulator at all? 2 years in that is an impressive skill level

Bipenut53

150cc
I'm new to learning aerobatics. 62 years old. Been flying RC for about 2 years. For aerobatics, I'm using a UCanDo 3D and just maidened a Phoenix Models Hero 3D. I live in rural America so I have no flying buddies, mentors, or AMA sanctioned field. I fly alone behind my house on about 40 acres but with a few trees that often seem to be in the way.

I can do loops, rolls, inverted flight, knife edge, positive spins, snap rolls, stalls, pop tops, and finally learned the Lomcevak. Trying to harrier with limited success. I rarely get a flat spin. And, can't seem to grasp the blender.

I wish I lived next door to AJ or some other expert. But, you have to play the cards you're dealt.

Tom

Well first off, welcome to the site [MENTION=2262]tmulligan[/MENTION]! You are actually not alone. I live in an area where we are out in the middle of nowhere as well. There is a group of us who get together and fly. We don't have a club, we gather at a friend's private airstrip and have fun. [MENTION=4379]cam4569[/MENTION] is one of the people I fly with. It is hard to get the maneuvers right and progress without the encouragement of others. This is a friendly site and if you don't know how to do something or have questions feel free to ask, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here. Ok so you say you are having problems mastering the blender, you also say you can do pop tops, the blender uses the same stick movements as the pop top with a couple of exceptions, first being entry. You enter the pop top starting low and fast pulling up, blenders start high and slower and you push the elevator stick forward giving a vertical down line from there do the same as the pop top except continue to give down elevator and rudder but also give throttle at the end to produce an inverted flat spin at the end. Have you watched BoneDoc's tutorial here on the site? Again welcome Tom!!

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
I would like to welcome you as well [MENTION=2262]tmulligan[/MENTION]. Pretty impressive skills for someone that is self taught in a short period of time. The U Can Do is an impressive plane and a good flyer. Some airplanes flat spin better than others. My Extra 330 will do a beautiful flat spin while my Yak 55 does more of a nose low flat spin. It is just a matter of finding where the airplane likes the aileron and power to get it as flat as possible. Like [MENTION=3348]Bipenut[/MENTION] said, check out some of BoneDoc's videos. In fact, while watching them, look at the field he shot the video at. That is where I fly here is San Antonio.

tmulligan

New to GSN!
I have spent many hours on both Real Flight and Phoenix simulators.

I have the newer UCanDo SF. It really is a terrific plane. It will slow down and float or it can speed up with unlimited vertical. I think I have a Rimfire .52 in it and fly it with 6S batteries. It is probably my favorite plane right now.

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

Tom

cam4569

70cc twin V2
I have spent many hours on both Real Flight and Phoenix simulators.

I have the newer UCanDo SF. It really is a terrific plane. It will slow down and float or it can speed up with unlimited vertical. I think I have a Rimfire .52 in it and fly it with 6S batteries. It is probably my favorite plane right now.

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

Tom
One of these days we should try and schedule an online simulator time and try and talk some of the better 3d guys into giving us some pointers