• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

Russ clardy

New to GSN!
Hi Y'all, looks like I never checked in! I'm Park_Aviator (Chad) from Texas.
bipes are awsome my first was a 50cc pitts sb2 about 8 1/2 years ago every one in the club said oooo its to much for you !
well being i started with hanger 9s P51 trainer lol that pitts was a breezzz i was in love with bipes ever sence not to mention a few of the club members haveing to eat some crow lol

pattern64

New to GSN!
Hi all from Liverpool, NY,

I started flying RC planes again in the summer for 2014 after a 36 year hiatus. I started with a Freewing Pandora foam trainer to get into flying. Towards the end of the summer the plane became a limiting factor. I bought an Extreme Flight Laser-EXP 48" and started flying it in September. Our flying season in central New York ends by the end of October. I flew the Laser all 2015 and it is fun to fly! During the winter of 2014/15 I built a Pat Tritle SE5a (Model Airplane News plans) and a Twisted Hobbies Laser foamy. The foamy is a fun airplane and I learned a lot without worrying about crashing. I pretty much proved it is indestructible. I wanted a bigger plane that would fly better in the wind and be able to fly more precision type aerobatics. My budget and space wouldn't allow a nice F3A plane so i got a Dynam Smoove following Grayson Hobbies recommendation for power and control. Because of the relatively mild mild winter I have been able to get about 15 flights in so far. This is a very nice flying plane that is precise and smooth that I can really learn a lot with.

I like to build stick style hence the Tritle SE5a which is nice flying plane and I'm currently building an Aeronca 7AC Champ from a fly2build.com short kit. I'm using Spektrum radios starting with a DX-6i and then a DX-8. I'm amazed at how much the hobby has changed in equipment, models, flying ability, sophistication etc. since the mid 70's.

I belong to the Syracuse Thunderbirds Aero Radio Society and our flying field is located in Phoenix, NY. The field is well maintained grass with a heated club house.
http://www.amadistrictiistars.org/index.html

I can fly some 3d stuff but lean towards NSRCA and IMAC style of flying. I like how you can do most anything with the EF Laser and it is a blast to fly!

I like Blogs (something else new to me) and there are so many model related ones I can spend a lot of time on them. Well that is the short of it.

Best regards,

John

Attachments

• Smoove First Flt (1).JPG
    Smoove First Flt (1).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 323
  • Smoove First Flt (2).JPG
    Smoove First Flt (2).JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 358
  • IMG_2114.JPG
    IMG_2114.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 288

Bipenut53

150cc
Nice John! Welcome to the site! That's a very interesting story. The extreme flight airplanes are great along with the twisted hobby's airplanes are great as well. Great pictures too!! There is a lot to this site and a lot of great people here as well. We love pictures, videos, and stories. Again welcome!

Well as always I'm super excited to welcome some new peeps to the family! Just want to welcome the following and say let us know where you fly and what you fly! Pictures are always welcome and highly encouraged! Thanks for joining the site and this rag tag bunch of guys and girls!

Well I have about 2 or 3 months coming here to get some support and see what's new, but never is late so: Here I go
I'm from Queens, New York, and I start in the hobby about 3 years ago.... Helis first, now Planes take my heart...... My club is SEAVIEW ROTARY WINGS, in Brooklyn. Success in this Hobby it is hard to if you live en NY, many rules, no too much places for fly, and only 8 or 9 moths for fly, but we do all that we can.

My Fleet is:
Helis - Align 700n // Align 550L Dominator // Oxy 3 // Goblin 570 in process.
Airplanes - AJ Laser 230z // 3DHS Extra 300 // Great Planes Pluma // FMS Edge 540
Radio - Futaba

I just want to add this: Thanks to y'll guys for the support.

laser 3.jpg

Aaron

New to GSN!
Hello everyone, my name is Aaron and I've been in the hobby for quite a while. I want to get into some 3D stuff but not too heavy. Any thoughts on Precision Aerobatics' Addiction XL? I have been flying the Addiction on the Phoenix flight sim and really like it. I will get the IPA version if I decide to commit to it. All inputs are welcome.

Aaron

New to GSN!
Welcome NJSwede! I had the pleasure of interacting with you a bit on that Saber X thread on RCG under the name "brathanke." From the sound of things your skills are building more than you let on ;) If it helps at all... I'm still a 3d noob as well :D I'll call your attention to this forum in case you haven't already found it. http://www.3drcforums.com/forumdisplay.php?17-How-To-get-Sweet-Skills-Talk

That is a great place to start threads about questions you have with specific skills. Also, make sure you drop in on the "Ask Joe Smith" forum. We are super excited to have him on board to give some tips and advice and spread the information he has gained in his amazing career. We are working on bringing some other skill building content in as well so stay tuned! One of our goals is to encourage content that hopefully inspires, challenges, and instructs pilots to gain more skills and thereby find greater enjoyment in the hobby.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions... the only stupid ones IMO are the ones that start with... "can I ask you as stupid question" as a precursor because then I'm all tuned in for a truly stupid question and might be totally underwhelmed by intelligence when compared to the the stupidity factor I was expecting :D

The only stupid question I've ever encountered was preceded by the phrase "I should have asked this before the crash but....." :D. Cheers.

cam4569

70cc twin V2
[MENTION=4506]Aaron[/MENTION] that is a plane i have looked into getting. It seems to be a very capable 3d plane and i have heard nothing bad about it. I have not flown on but i believe [MENTION=4459]Jeffro503[/MENTION] has one. Maybe he can join in and give you an honest opinion

Bipenut53

150cc
Welcome to the site [MENTION=4506]Aaron[/MENTION], I have heard some really good things about the addiction and I'm sure you would be happy with it. Have you given any thought to the Twisted Hobbys airplanes? Two come to mind is you want to fly outside, the 39" Crack Yak and the Veloxity, both are very well suited for outdoor flying and are very resilient as they are EPP foam. They can take a pretty good beating and be glued back together and off you go again. I have the 39" Crack Yak and its a blast to fly. Again welcome to the site

Aaron
I love my little Addiction. It's always out to the field with me as my first flight get the jitters out plane. The biggest "complaint " I could say is do to the light wing loading it is more intolerance of wind.

David

Aaron

New to GSN!
Hi Cam and Bipenut,
Thanks for the input. I have in fact looked at the Twisted Hobbys site and a bunch of others as well. I currently have a 27% Extra 300 gasser with a 50CC BMI engine which I got more for first-gas-engine experience rather than 3D use but have only flown it 3 times. First one was almost disastrous due to CG issues. The last 2 were in extreme wind conditions so I couldn't do much more than fly around the patch a few times. Anyway I'm hoping to get more input on the Addiction XL. I know I can buy a lot of planes for the cost of one but still.....
Thanks again guys.