• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC JTEC/ Radiowave 3.1m competition series

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
The canopy isnt recessed, but it is fiberglassed in 1/4" over the shell and all the way to nose of hatch, the edges where it curves to the top plate are recessed slightly into the balsa, I built it up from underneath and sanded a groove into it so it sits a lil more flush. The canopy where it fits the deck was cut to the angle and sanded the edges so it wont cut from vibration and sits flat. Used zap goo to secure from inside with a large tip syringe to make a bead. Was glued in two sessions,  first the sides and rear, dry, and then the inside.ill use some filler to smooth out the canopy to hatch joint before paint.

Ill take some   close ups tonight n post so the words make sense. Took alot of time and thinking but I couldnt see using tape on such a good looking plane, although ive seen it done very well.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Sounds like a good plan and much what I was thinking.     I was going to do what you did and then blend it in with a small filet of lightweight bondo (very small, maybe .25" radius) and then paint up on the clear part a ways.      Hardest part seems like it would be trimming in very small amounts to get a good fit.

IMAC FANATIC

Exactly the plan,  fill the small gap with bondo and paint up the canopy maybe 3/8" . Mine would have been allt easier had I thought it out before building the hatch,  I had the brain storm after the fact. The canopy stringers are 1/2x1/2 balsa so the recessing goes easy, ebded up doctoring what was a completed hatch. Ah well, worth the effort. Also made a skirt around entire canopy opening and shaping the sides to make more finished look.  And yes, the tough part was trimming the small amounts to get to set just right within the recesses 3/4 the way around the canopy. 

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
This one was installed in a slight recess and then filled, smoothed and painted. Sorry for he crappy picture, but it's a crop of a scan of a 20 year old photo.
Canopy-Crop.jpg

-Rick-

100cc
Jetpainter said
This one was installed in a slight recess and then filled, smoothed and painted. Sorry for he crappy picture, but it's a crop of a scan of a 20 year old photo.
Canopy-Crop.jpg
That really gives the canopy a finished look!

IMAC FANATIC

Looks awesome to me buddy, love me a 230 also ! Wish there were more available, hell ANY available in a fun size.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
IMAC FANATIC said
Looks awesome to me buddy, love me a 230 also ! Wish there were more available, hell ANY available in a fun size.
I still have one of the 30% Ace kits that airplane was built from. They are heavy and way out dated, but I still may build it sometime.

It was the first gas airplane I ever flew. It died a horrible death when Tony, my friend that owned it, clipped a guy wire from a pylon. They had just set up the pylons for a race for the little pylon racers like I have in my thread. Those Ace kits used plywood spars in the foam wing, that plugged into a slide in channel in the fuse. The wire cut right through the wing till it got to the plywood and brought the plane to a screeching halt spinning it around and  breaking the motor box off before everything came crashing to the ground. It looked like the hand of god just swatted it out of the sky. I have the original cowl on a shelf at home without a scratch on it.

IMAC FANATIC

A full weekend and thats as far as I got. Used windex method to lay over bottom piece a full 2" over the maroon, and sllooowwllyy increased heat to full shrink and it turned out beautifully.  
20141012_194543.jpg