• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC JTEC/ Radiowave 3.1m competition series

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
See what I mean.. LOL

Wondering what you plan to use for power, servoes,  prop, guideance/radio, scheme re design, etc.  Any 3 views of how you want it to be finished ?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
IMAC FANATIC said
See what I mean.. LOL

Wondering what you plan to use for power, servoes,  prop, guideance/radio, scheme re design, etc.  Any 3 views of how you want it to be finished ?
Problem is, Jetpainter is "everyones" resemblance of "STRANGE" cuckoo.... Hee hee.... good of you Imac to share space with rick. I think two builds in one will really make for an interesting bit 'o' conversating. Kind of like havin' a buddie over swappin' stories whilest assembling the newest addition to CRAZY BIG HOOPTIE'S.

-Rick-

100cc
As far as a motor goes, I believe a DA 150 on cans should be fin, looks like a lot of used DA 150s on the market now. ( I'm on a budget!) Servos still undecided. RX will be my trusted 9503. The scheme, I like white! So a lot of that to start with. I have a friend that does full body car wraps, the equipment in his shop is unbelievable. He would be able to print out anything I could think of and would be able to print it out on mectalics. But like you I kinda like the idea of a scale scheme, but I'm having a hard time finding many full size slicks!! Found a couple, one is all white, the other is the overdone RedBull scheme.

What hinges do you use? I've being pulling on these and they seen to be holding tight, but four year old glue scares me! Think I'm going to pin each hinge side to make sure they stay in.

IMAC FANATIC

Using robart bur sometimes wish id of gone with big du bros and the piano wire to fill the hinge gap, mine is only 1/16" but id like zero. Ill dig around for some slick schemes. My version of scale will be scale scheme w rc touches , hard to explain youll have to just wait n see.  Looks like a great airframe, nice and rounded, fat LE and control surfaces, should be a big ol puppy dog to fly, nice n slow. Supposing you know to check  wing vs stab incidence, in imac its vital to straight lines and figures.

-Rick-

100cc
Oh yes, once this covering is off she will be going straight on an incidence meter. Plane was to pull new attachment points in it for the wings and stab. She will be at zero!! This plane has the flat style hinges which will make is easy to double pin each side. I don't like the thought of ripping them out, plus the hinge lines are tight which I like. Going to make it a pain in the rear to recover but... Oh well!!           

Maybe you know, do you know of any rattle can paint that matchs monocoat jet white?

IMAC FANATIC

Best bet is jet white luster cote from monokote.. tower hobbies or any LHS.or google monokote ppg color codes if ya really want to get into it. Easier to use straight edge/razor at TE of wing ,LE of aileron,and leave hinge stock mono in place to recover. Leave 1/8 -1/4" of old covering to melt back onto, save a ton of time from covering around the hinges in place, go easy on the vinyl, looks sweet and easy to apply but weighs 3-4x more than monokote. It adds up quick. ive seen awesome decals add a half pound to a plane. 

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
-Rick- said
Oh yes, once this covering is off she will be going straight on an incidence meter. Plane was to pull new attachment points in it for the wings and stab. She will be at zero!! This plane has the flat style hinges which will make is easy to double pin each side. I don't like the thought of ripping them out, plus the hinge lines are tight which I like. Going to make it a pain in the rear to recover but... Oh well!!           

Maybe you know, do you know of any rattle can paint that matchs monocoat jet white?
Rick, I did a complete recover on my SD 42% 260. It had the flat style hinges as you are describing. The airframe used to belong to Harv up in Canada. The airframe is about 7 or 8 years old. At Wentachee this past year, he told me he put at least a couple of hundred flights on it before selling it to the guy I got it from. I've now put 36 (as of this mornings outing) on it and the hinges are still holding strong and true. As for covering an already hinged plane, it really is not that difficult at all. Just take your time, think out every step before you proceed and I can assure you, it will come out nice. Even though my hinge line was very tight, I chose to "seal" the hinge lines on the control surfaces. It turned out really sweet. I will see if I can find some pictures to show you. Hopefully it will help you when you get around to doing your recover job.

A little trick I learned to get all the old covering off without a butt load of hassle, and leave it clean as a baby's behind was... take your heat gun and warm the covering at a seam somewhere. Get a hold of that and lift it up...continue to heat the old covering in back and forth paths. As you are heating, keep lifting the old covering and it will come off in great big sheets as it was originally layed down.

I hate going about it this way, but before GSN existed, I posted the recover job on "that" other site. Here is the link...you can read through the whole thing, or start with post 27 on page 3. It will show you how I sealed the hinge line. I do hope it helps you in your recover job.

http://www.GiantScaleNews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86124&highlight=sd+42+extra+260

IMAC FANATIC

This scheme is sick. N# Zu-JSS  the Suzuki branding could be anything red.. DA , JR, HI tec, I like the Suzuki myself.  Its from a slick
13.jpg

11.jpg

1556474.jpg

Ick