• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

It pains me to see all of the troubles you're having with your Pitts. . . . . :frown: I, for one, appreciate your candid and straight forward approach of telling it like it is. I am the same way, almost to a fault. I also have to think that the can problem was just a fluke. It may be worth your while to give Kevin a call to see if he can shed some light on what may have went wrong.

I'll stop giving you a hard time and go back to lurking. . . . . :)

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I basecoat has a problem I run into sometimes with white. It has a tenancy to get what we call "seedy". The white pigment separates from the binder and balancer and gets lumpy, causing lots of issues. It normally only happens after you reduce the color for use, but don't use it all. When you go to use it at a later date you can find lumps. I wonder if whatever they use for reducer in the spray can might have caused something like that.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rob,

It pains me to see all of the troubles you're having with your Pitts. . . . . :frown: I, for one, appreciate your candid and straight forward approach of telling it like it is. I am the same way, almost to a fault. I also have to think that the can problem was just a fluke. It may be worth your while to give Kevin a call to see if he can shed some light on what may have went wrong.

I'll stop giving you a hard time and go back to lurking. . . . . :)
Thank you David. I appreciate your concern. It was just a hellofa mess to clean up, but I got it handled. I may have experienced a few setbacks along the way with this project. However, I am stubborn, bull headed and tenacious as all get out. I refuse to let it beat me. That plane "WILL" fly come heck or high water. And it will look nice doing it. Either that, or go into the dirt in the same manner.
hearty-laugh.gif
That, you can take to the bank.

I basecoat has a problem I run into sometimes with white. It has a tenancy to get what we call "seedy". The white pigment separates from the binder and balancer and gets lumpy, causing lots of issues. It normally only happens after you reduce the color for use, but don't use it all. When you go to use it at a later date you can find lumps. I wonder if whatever they use for reducer in the spray can might have caused something like that.
Not really sure but one thing is for certain, something is just not right. I feel I really followed every precaution I could think of. Taking your advice to the limits. I even went so far as to wet sand and wet sand and wet sand the crap out of that cowl. The primer was perfect. The surface was immaculate enough to eat from. I did unfortunately damage a very small spot on the cowl on the lower right side right in the center of the wrap stripe. But it was far too late to do anything about it. Short of stopping right where I was with painting. Wait for what had been painted to dry and then sand it all off again, just to start over once again. The final coat of paint hid that spot pretty well and honestly you would have to know it is there and where to be looking to even find it. That being said, I whole heartedly appreciate all your advice and input and thoughts.

As a side note, I did receive an email just a few moments ago from **** Johnson of Wings West RC. He sincerely apologized for the inconvenience and problems and stated there is absolutely no problem with returning the paint for a full refund. At this point, I am going to move forward with testing the Purple and the Red on the paint cards. My hope is the white can of paint was just a fluke and the two remaining colors will not be affected.

All extremity appendages crossed....LOL
good-luck-smiley-emoticon.gif

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Some very good news guys. I just tested the spray pattern of the Purple and Red paint on the paint test cards. Perfect spray pattern and perfect flow. YES!!! I think we are in business. As you can see on the test paint cards, the color is pretty darned close. This was only three "VERY" fast passes. (I wanted to use as little as possible in this test.) I fully believe and have complete confidence that once the paint is sprayed on the cowl in the proper manner with the proper amount, the color will match quite nicely, if not even perfectly.

Maybe the gremlins have finally decided to leave me alone. LOL

Test.jpg

BalsaDust

Coming along nicely. Wait till I get to work on this 30% One Design I just picked up. I'm a cheap ass so I take a piece of covering to lowes and have them match it in latex paint. I then do a mixture of 50% paint, 40% minwax water based gloss polycrylic, and 10% water. Then go back over it after a couple of days with a can of duplicolor clear gloss rattle can paint. Did a buddies 33% hangar nine edge last year and it worked great.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Coming along nicely. Wait till I get to work on this 30% One Design I just picked up. I'm a cheap ass so I take a piece of covering to lowes and have them match it in latex paint. I then do a mixture of 50% paint, 40% minwax water based gloss polycrylic, and 10% water. Then go back over it after a couple of days with a can of duplicolor clear gloss rattle can paint. Did a buddies 33% hangar nine edge last year and it worked great.

It's amazing how close they can match paint colors. I've never used them to match covering (although I might now) but they have saved me a ton of work and money over the years on home improvement projects.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well it is looking better. A day ago it seemed that this paint was not going to work, again you persevered and got through it. It seemed the white was a bad can of paint and the colours are ok. That would be ok for me because the colours are the hardest to get to match. Hope it all goes good from now and you end up with a great looking cowl.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just a thought wonder if you still can get the white to work. @Jetpainter would be the one to know if this could be done. Ok in the rattle can is normal paint if we opened the spray can and poured the paint into a small spray gun would it work. Would we have to do something to the paint.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just a thought wonder if you still can get the white to work. @Jetpainter would be the one to know if this could be done. Ok in the rattle can is normal paint if we opened the spray can and poured the paint into a small spray gun would it work. Would we have to do something to the paint.
That would be a big no! The white paint came out at such a blistering glob of goo, scattered from hell to breakfast. In essence the volume too spattered to go where it should and so uncontrollable for spray volume that I really feel the paint was the biggest culprit. I do feel the nozzle was faulty as well. I would not trust the paint in any form of application method. Mr. Johnson from WWRC told me to just toss it. Which I eagerly and anxiously did just that.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That at least gives me heads up to test my white paint can before I try to spray th cowl. Will at least save me redoing the cowl. Thanks for warning it will save me some work if my white is the same thanks