• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
What's your thoughts on the jigs supplied with the kit?

Al
So far, it's a cool idea. Seems to hold everything in alignment. The only thing I noticed with mine is they are slightly warped. So to make sure all fuse supports were in place solidly I simply put a heavy weight right in the middle of the jig. It's ok for now but suspect I'll have to do something else when it comes time to frame the wings. The only construction I have found so far on the Pitts that is not perfect, is the leading edge of the fin. Not the jigs fault on this. Those pieces were slightly warped when removed from the box. I'll just have to saturated with water before finishing the construction on it and pay particular attention to insure a straight fin.

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
The wing jig should be more for spacing the ribs, The jig is slotted for the tabs on the ribs. I would make sure its flat though. The warp could be from sitting or possible packing. We did the jigs because it we thought it would be a better way of building than over a set of planes.

I will tell you if you do go for the MX there are no jigs. That sort of snaps together and is self aligning. It build much easier than the pitts!! LOL

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The wing jig should be more for spacing the ribs, The jig is slotted for the tabs on the ribs. I would make sure its flat though. The warp could be from sitting or possible packing. We did the jigs because it we thought it would be a better way of building than over a set of planes.

I will tell you if you do go for the MX there are no jigs. That sort of snaps together and is self aligning. It build much easier than the pitts!! LOL
Oh I much prefer the jig over plans. It seems like every time I've built over plans something just doesn't seem right. The jig method and your design is so freaking easy. I am sure that the warp in The jig is nothing to worry about at this time. Like I said, I weighted it down in the center and everything is aligning perfectly. When it comes to the wings I am aware that the ribs are held in place on the jig. I will simply make sure that it is down flat as well for that part of the construction.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
. . . . . . . Maybe a "Convertible Pitts"????????:spongebob:

Don't discount that idea quite so quickly, Rob. My Buddy who is building the same Pitts is doing just that. He has been building planes since the 70's and he could not get the canopy to conform and stay attached to the turtle deck so his Pitts will have an open cockpit with a windshield up front. His Pitts is also getting a 3Dub 70 Red Head twin , lucky SOB. . . . . :laughing:. My AMR Stick is the first plane I've built using a jig. It has a jig for building the wing halves and I love it. . . . . :big_yes:.

Keep up the AWESOME work, Buddy. . . . .:yesss:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Just a thought, but if I ever build one of these I'm going to shorten the canopy to the single place canopy. I think they look awesome!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just a thought, but if I ever build one of these I'm going to shorten the canopy to the single place canopy. I think they look awesome!
Now why didn't I think of that? I wonder if it is too late to do this mod? Probably so since I already have the forward hatch stringers in place. I guess I could always remove them, design a former and re-stringer it right? Hmmm!!!! I also put in the top turtle deck stringers and the lower longerons.

I did not have much time to work on the Pitts today. I went flying today with my friends Tom and Bruce. Dang, that ZDZ 180 is beyond "AMAZING". But that is another story.

Just a couple of photos of today's progress. I will get more done when the rest of my stringers and supplies arrive.

20161011_170100.jpg
20161011_170115.jpg
20161011_195333.jpg
20161011_195337.jpg
20161011_195353.jpg

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
The option is you can make it a single seat or two seater. As for the the canopy. clothes pins will help hold it to the former while the glue dries. At least thatss what I did when building mine.

The build looks real good. Your moving right along with it!!

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

Going back to the subject of color schemes, you could cover yours in the scheme of the Swedish S-12 Viking. It is just blue and yellow for the most part with flames on the cowl, and I know how much you like flames. . . . . :laughing:. I'm sure Callie or Brad could do the Viking head in vinyl as well. Check it out.

Your S12 is coming right along. At the rate you're going, you're going to be done with it LONG before I can get my AMR Stick done. . . . . . .:ugh: