• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rob,

I think this should have been added to your post;

"This option is only available for those of us who are unmarried. If you are married, try this at your own risk."

:laughing:.

I hope you don't have the same issues with your canopy that others have had. @Wacobipe can fill you in. Keep up the great work. . . :yesss:
Hmm, never thought of that David. But since you mentioned it, you're very correct. "DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME....IF YOU ARE MARRIED". LOL
I actually heard about the "canopy" issue. Been filled in on the proper procedure of getting that darn plastic to make that sharp curve over the top former so it does not split. Yikes, Not sure if I want to try it. Maybe a "Convertible Pitts"????????:spongebob:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I just kind of dinked around today. Not really a lot accomplished as I am waiting on wood to arrive. I did however start "sandwiching" the leading edge of the Stab and the trailing edges of the elevators. Really not all that intelled. Just a matter of spreading some Gorilla, laying out the 3 pieces that make one, clamp and let it cure. I also got the trailing edge of the rudder sandwiched as well as gluing in servo screw backer plates to the rear fuse sides.

To start with, this is what the pieces look like prior to joining them all together. Kind of a neat idea to make these parts light, but very strong. The layed out pieces are the leading edge of the stab and the trailing/side edges of the elevators.

20161010_115620.jpg

Here I have the rudder trailing edge completed. I will temporarily "clamp" it to the leading edge of the fin to test the fit.

20161010_115652.jpg
20161010_115659.jpg
20161010_115753.jpg

These are the "left" and "right" rear fuse sides. Nothing hard about this step. I have plenty of scrap wood from many-many-many years ago that I saved from previous builds. So finding an appropriate sized backer plate is no problem.

20161010_115811.jpg

Elevator trailing/side pieces ready for joining. I test fit the sections first, obtaining the most perfect fit from the pre-cut angles. Then a single drop of Thin CA dead center of the joint to hold them together.

20161010_120130.jpg
20161010_120135.jpg

Once each section was glued to its corresponding pieces, now to make all three pieces one piece.

20161010_120307.jpg

One down, one to go.

20161010_120347.jpg
20161010_145856.jpg

Above is the leading edge of the Stab and the trailing/side edges of the elevators. I believe I will probably sheet the entire tail section to give it a nicer look when covered and also add to the strength.

Rear fuse sides with servo rails glued into place. I used 3/8' ply cut to fit the length of the servo holes.
20161010_150001.jpg
20161010_150027.jpg

I may see what else I can do this evening. Maybe frame up the rest of the stab and elevators and set them aside for sheeting later. I can also start laying out the wings while waiting for my wood to arrive.

I talked to Kevin this morning regarding a couple of points on this kit that I wasn't sure about. Also, Van @Maxwell1945 called me and got me lined out on a couple of things. While talking to Kevin, I just "HAD" to ask him about the 112" MX2 kit. I am actually enjoying this build so much that I am "SERIOUSLY" contemplating building a bigger JTEC MX2. Don't get me wrong...I love my Pilot RC planes. And it is cool to have nice birds...but I would like to have something just a little different from what I have been flying. And, I think I would really like building a larger plane again. Maybe this Pitts will turn out nice enough I won't want to stop building again like I used to.

Just a test here. Anyone see anything wrong with the photo of the Stab leading edge and the elevator trailing edges together? :laughing:

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So I did do a little bit more on the Pitts this evening. Weird... I just can't seem to pull myself away from it. I am going to have to soon though. I am quickly running out of things I can do without having all the stringers available. Oh well, not like I don't have other projects. After framing up the elevators, rudder and stab...I decided I would at least start the canopy/hatch. Not really much to it. Of course the wax paper comes in very handy to keep the glue from "seeping" to the upper longeron frame. Sorry for some of my terminology everyone. Sometimes what is in my head and I mean to say are actually two different things. Either way, the Pitts is coming along. I wish my little "Pop-Top" had not gotten into my closet shortly after I got him 2 years ago. Apparently he figured a little fiber for his diet would be a good thing. I would agree, except a couple of the elevator pieces had puppy teeth marks in them. Doah...no worries. Everything glued together and since they will be sheeted, it really should not be a big deal. Word of caution: Keep all your builds up high away from kiddo's, flash floods and "puppies". LOL. Oh and another thing...guys....don't let your wife catch you with her clothes pins. You may be sleeping with your planes in the garage. Ummm, ooookay....Like that is a bad thing?
happy-nodding-smiley-face-emoticon.gif
Seriously though, I pretty much misplaced most of my building equipment and am just coming to a realization that maybe I should have waited to start this until I had everything located or replaced. Naaaa....what fun is that? I will just simply.....mmmm.....improvise. The clothes pins work pretty well for light duty stuff like keeping the canopy/hatch frame taught against the top frame of the fuse.

A couple more photos of the progress. Dang, I can't believe it isn't done yet. I want to fly it already.:yesss:

happy-nodding-smiley-face-emoticon.gif
20161010_203202.jpg
20161010_212953.jpg
20161010_213006.jpg
20161010_213013.jpg
20161010_213027.jpg
20161010_213154.jpg
20161010_213240.jpg
20161010_213412.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
If you enjoy building this one you can always do the 41 percent version.;)

I know you like Big'uns!
I do. But I think I want to do an MXS. Been watching Rob Holland this evening. WOW! That plane will do some pretty funky stuff. I just love that upright and inverted "Frisbee" he does. That looks hella cool. Think "Baby" will do them? hee hee