• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC practice tips for new pilots.

Alky6

150cc
Thanks for starting this thread and to all those who have contributed. Very interesting and very helpful. Look forward to incorporating some of these!

thurmma

150cc
;) Another one.. when a manouver goes a lil south, like a spin not quite breaking like you do in practice, don't down grade yourself out loud. A groan or heavy sigh or " thats a zero" will clue the judges to your mistake even more, chances are.. they saw it too. But, they may have felt you did better than you thought . Yet that audible clue for them sets it in stone.
And I talk to myself all the time Earle, even when not flying. which I do also myself, im my own caller lol, is that a sign of something bad ?​
Only if you answer yourself and there are witnesses :)

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Keep a journal, make it as simple or as complicated as you like. Make notes for cg movement, mixes added, mixes modified, control changes etc so you'll have a record to go back to if you like or don't like the changes.
Make notes on what manouvers look good and which need work, makes the next practice sesssion more efficient and its nice to see the progress on paper.

Any specific questions? And thanks.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
If you don't have a stick plane to practice with.....get one! And when you use it to walk thru maneuvers, or a sequence....don't hold it down at your waste or chest level. "Fly" it up above your eye line, because THAT'S the angle from which you will be seeing your plane. Try to visualize your plane as you fly the stick plane thru the sequence. Pace your "flying" as though you were flying your big plane.

For me this really helps to plan, and see in my mind, the figures, positioning, etc.

IMAC FANATIC

Imagine the control movements you'll be using as you fly the stick plane, try to "see " the surfaces move and how youll input them with the Tx.
Your right, a stick plane is pretty invaluable for this stuff.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
;) Another one.. when a manouver goes a lil south, like a spin not quite breaking like you do in practice, don't down grade yourself out loud. A groan or heavy sigh or " thats a zero" will clue the judges to your mistake even more, chances are.. they saw it too. But, they may have felt you did better than you thought . Yet that audible clue for them sets it in stone.
And I talk to myself all the time Earle, even when not flying. which I do also myself, im my own caller lol, is that a sign of something bad ?​
I've always been of the opinion that as long as you know it you doing the talking it's fine. That's what I tell myself anyway. At least I think it's me talking........hmmmm.

My tips?
have fun
Laugh
I love joking with my caller during a round... that is just me.. helps calm me down. Been doing this for years and I still get nervous on the flight line!
And... fly higher than 10ft off the ground... and don't hit the hawk sitting on the ground! (Jerry will like this!)
Go to contests... camp! Once I started camping at contests, I was hooked... the evening camaraderie is awesome and some of the best friends of my life are friends met through IMAC...

IMAC FANATIC

On that imac pro app, take a look at the requirements and the work that the CD has to do to make an event possible, its alot of work! Take a moment to thank them for putting it on and try to keep with the flow of the event.
Wheels up before the guy before you lands, usually 2-3 figures before his last sequence is over.
And when its over, make sure that the entire area looks better than when you got there, the local club will be happy and more inclined to let you come back next year.