• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC practice tips for new pilots.

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
I do, notso much at field, but its a good study guide, lets you take notes on specific manouvers. More valuable is the imac trim guide. Id call trimming your airframe properly for flight tip zero, without a properly cg'd, balanced and dialed in ship, its a constant fight for .. well everything. Takes tons of pilot workload off your thumbs .
Caller mode is nice when used from a tablet but I like mine coming from an aresti sheet and a trusty friend anyday

Last edited:

IMAC FANATIC

Matter of fact, im gonna make having the IMAC pro app a tip, download the pdfs on contest rules and guidelines , print them and put in a nice folder. READ the rules, follow the guidelines and understand the best you can whats going to happen at event and how youll be judged, it'll answer darn near A To Z , and its good to be informed and ready for the days events. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy it when someone shows up and asks" what do I do" ? Because they are there and willing, but being there and prepared will make your day much more enjoyable.

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
RJ- Is this the plane with the DA-85? Have you flown this with Craig?
Don't let the thought of sound score keep you from flying IMAC. Come on out and have some fun.

Yep, it is my Radiowave 2.5 ( DA85 with Lg Jtec muffler, 27/10 Falcon prop ) and I love the sound, but it does sing like a Cup car and makes Craig's DA 170 sound like a Legends car. Going to try and fly once this season, if my schedule permits.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Something I've noticed.
You some times say that it's ain't the Tomahawk it's the Indian well, I thought about it and over the years I've noticed that it's the Tomahawk as well.
An average plane with an average engine will give you average scores and will make your flight stay like that all the way from take off to landing.
You will think all the time about the things that can happen to the plane or engine or other average gear you are using instead of thinking about the flight it self "don't pull to hard the wing might come off " or I better let the engine cool a little bit it too worm. Your entire flight will be how the engine and plane preform instead of how did I really fly.
Also, as you burn more gas the plane and engine will wear and tear that being said you're going to find your self under the hood more than under the blue sky flying and practicing.
Good plane and engine will give the peace and quite you need and will make you focused on flying and not speculations and assumptions about the gear. They will give you confidence.

thurmma

150cc
Something I've noticed.
You some times say that it's ain't the Tomahawk it's the Indian well, I thought about it and over the years I've noticed that it's the Tomahawk as well.
An average plane with an average engine will give you average scores and will make your flight stay like that all the way from take off to landing.
You will think all the time about the things that can happen to the plane or engine or other average gear you are using instead of thinking about the flight it self "don't pull to hard the wing might come off " or I better let the engine cool a little bit it too worm. Your entire flight will be how the engine and plane preform instead of how did I really fly.
Also, as you burn more gas the plane and engine will wear and tear that being said you're going to find your self under the hood more than under the blue sky flying and practicing.
Good plane and engine will give the peace and quite you need and will make you focused on flying and not speculations and assumptions about the gear. They will give you confidence.
Very well said @TazmanianDevil

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
YES! Get the best equipment you can afford.

I learned this lesson in competitive pistol shooting. We too often tend to think that we're not good enough for a high-end pistol to make a difference, but if the one you're using cannot hold X-ring groups at the distances shot, then you never really knew whether it was the gun or the shooter that caused the flyers and poor scores. Once you had good equipment, then you KNEW that the 6 or 7 on a target was due to something YOU did during the shot and you could work on fixing that.

Same with airplanes.....good ones make life much easier when trying to fly precision aerobatics!

IMAC FANATIC

Agreed, good equipment makes flying easier and saves planes BUT.. and this is a sad story... at the IMAC las vegas quailfier in basic class 2013, a buddy had an issue with his motor. Wouldn't fire, i thought, sadly, YES, easy place for me, he was the competition for third place. So, he breaks out an eflite carbon z yak from the trailer, slaps it in the runway, its Basic, run what ya brung, and properly procedes to beat me with it all weekend long. So in that case, a 400.00 foamie beat out a 6000.00 comp arf, lol. Was a long ride home.
Worse, I get one after that to practice with, looking for a" happy gilmore" moment and still flew like crap. That guy was GOOD with it.
Moral of the story.. dont let the plane you have keep you from coming to the party, a skilled pilot can fly anything and compete.. and win !

Last edited:

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
I hear you...
So here is another advice that can relate to any other sport competition.
Be CONSTANT what ever it takes you don't need to get straight 10s every time(I'm talking about a long run comp not a 100m run, which is a different story) the strive for straight 10 all the time will make you make errors.
Being said, it's better to have 7 good flights than 3 excellent 1 good 1 average and 2 bad ones.
When it comes to scoring you better have a 7 in all your maneuvers than a couple of 9 couple of 7, 3, 4,5....or maybe a zero.
And with all that be constant.
I always say, better a slow hit than a fast miss.

Don't take that specific example, it's wrong, since in basic electric small precise plane got more advantages than a giant because of the box size...not enough time or space to make errors.

Now think about that word, error, in IMAC you start every figure with a straight 10, think about it, you got the benefit of a doubt, so only when you make an error, you get downgraded. So if you think about it, flying IMAC and winning is the pilot that makes the lowest errors.

I know it's kind of a philosophical answer but what is life without that.