• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC learning and support using flight videos

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
Ok, before you dive into look at sequences. Here are two articles that really help and are a must. I study and read them both at least once or twice a month. Sorry about the one, the first page got stuck in the scanner.

View attachment IMAC Dictionary.pdf
View attachment IMAC Help article.pdf

IMAC will make you better at 3D. 3D won't make you better at IMAC. Keeping lines, changing input with wind. Starting, performing and completeing the maneuver in the box in the right places. All this helps. Yes 3D is crazy, but it smooths up the
3D flight and makes you realize how to keep it all in places and piece it together to make it GREAT!

SnowDog

OK who will be our first volunteer as judge? :)

And who will submit the first video for judging? ;)

Any tips on how to configure RealFlight to record video of a session?

We've done a bit of this IMAC stuff in a short period of time I guess. If you've never seen it or done it, a couple things interesting about contests might be that you can elect to fly your sequences right to left OR left to right. You must tell the judges this before you start your time "in the box." Wind decides this as your spins will basically make this decision for you. Even basic has spins. A lot of times you fly one way on Saturday and come back on Sunday, with wind going the other way, and you fly your sequence the opposite direction. Usually, you go up and fly your sequence twice and land and we consider that one round. That's two scores, one for each of your sequences. You usually fly 3 rounds as a minimum if weather cooperates. In Sportsman and above, you will fly unknowns and they will count for about 25% of your contest score. For every three sequences you fly, you get to throw the lowest score out. Three rounds is six sequences and you throw two of those scores. More rounds is good. The simulator might help get your head around sequences, shapes etc but you really need to fly this stuff on your airplane at a field to really get it. You should be capable of at least 10 minutes of flight to go up for two sequences even though you will likely be done flying in about 8 or 9 minutes. Fuel consumption on gas planes is fairly light using them for IMAC. For instance a DA120, 32oz tank, fly a round and come down with maybe a little less than half a tank.

Anyway, on judging, I think there's a video referenced on the IMAC website as well that goes over some judging criteria. It's under the training tab on the home page.

http://www.mini-iac.com/Training/tabid/121/Default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I'll chime in here. I used to teach aerobatics full scale and used Aresti code every flight. I started IMAC last year when I bought my first gasser, an EF 78" Extra. I'd like to add a couple more names to the list; Cody Wojcik and Tyler McCormack, both from up here in NH and both have earned spots on the US team for the first ever IMAC Worlds in Muncie next year. Cody and his dad Ted were instrumental in getting me into IMAC and my first event was this past August at the inaugural Plum Island IMAC. I flew Basic with my 78" Extra and came in second by about 80 points, I was very pleased for my first go at it. Cody and Steven "the knife" McCormack both called for me. Cody continues to inspire me with his flying precision. The McCormack boys (Tyler and his younger brother Steven) are also great ambassadors for the hobby. This is very timely Snow Dog as I just finished my first IMAC practice video that I was preparing to post on our club Facebook page for a few members interested in IMAC. This thread will be right there with it! Excellent idea. It is my opinion that precision flying, be it IMAC, competition or some other form is the key to proficient flying. Flying a line, be it straight and level or an unlimited sequence forces us to have a plan, practice that plan and execute. That's where the guys and girls who fly so well and accurate to impress us so much gain their skills! It can only help you be a better all around pilot no matter how far you take it. I'm passionate about getting people to "work" a little bit to increase their fun with this hobby by being just a bit more proficient. More comfortable with wind, using the rudder, etc.
OK let's talk IMAC
A little history (a little cause we want to fly!)- Aresti catalog- "First published in 1960, José Luis de Aresti’s ‘Sistema Aresti’ provided a simple and efficient means of writing down and demonstrating a sequence of aerobatic maneuvers on paper. The system breaks down each maneuver into basic lines and curves and as such provides a relatively easy to understand, pictorial view of the way a sequence is to be flown. It was adopted for official use by the FAI in 1961" The code is broken down into "families-

Family 1 Lines and Angles

Family 2 Turns and Rolling Turns

Family 3 Combinations of Lines

Family 4 Spins (Not in Use)

Family 5 Stall Turns

Family 6 Tail Slides

Family 7 Loops and Eights

Family 8 Combinations of Lines, Angles and Loops

Family 9 Rolls and Spins

Basically its short hand to look at while flying. Either clipped to or in a designated holder right in front of you on the panel.

"That's all I have to say about thaaat!" Google for more.

SnowDog found the great resources; IMAC website and IMAC lite and Pro apps from Bill James. I use IMAC pro on my Iphone and it is terrific (I emailed him recently and he should have the 2014 sequences uploaded soon). There are loads of goodies including rules, sequences, videos, caller mode (presents each maneuver one at a time to scroll through), and more.

Aircraft- As Jwmav stated; Basic- literally anything. The idea is practice, come and fly it, get judged and hopefully move up, key is participate and enjoy. My first competition had 4 pilots in Basic- a 42" electric Slick (yes, in 20 mph wind), I gave the pilot huge kudos for participating telling him that he represented what Basic was about. The others in category were my 78" Extra, a Carden 50cc and I think a 100cc Extra. Sportsman and up the scale element is a requirement (this is not "pattern" it is scale aerobatics) and lack of a pilot figure and cockpit is a small penalty (very small). I was clearly a "small" plane at 30cc. Average is 50cc or bigger (the bigger they are, the easier they fly! and better they display) Unfortunately that comes at a price $$$$ (most bigger planes averaged around $10K+ which is a bit rich for this guys blood right now) But, and big but, you DO NOT have to spend that kind of money to practice and compete. Fly what you have and get better. The NE region guys did not make me feel inferior at all as I made the guy with the slick feel welcome and encouraged him. Everyone wants to help.

Judging- competitor judged, generally you judge at your level or below up to one level above and freestyle (a different criteria that has one class. I'd love to see this expanded and I think it is being discussed) and obviously not in your group. Judging lessons are located on the IMAC site and there are regional day long seminars in Spring that get posted on the site. . The judging seminar is highly recommended to improve your flying ability as well as learning to judge fairly. Easier to succeed if you know the rules!

Caller- stands behind pilot and communicates to judges (name of pilot, sequence being flown and direction, calling "in the box"- starting the judging process and "out of the box" ending the judging. Formally a wing rock as in full scale IAC but the norm now is the call. The caller is also your spotter as many venues use multiple flight lines to get as many "rounds" (2 sequences for knowns) in during the flying day.

As this is getting long I'll leave it here for now. SnowDog, thanks for posting this thread. I'll try to get Cody and Tyler to chime in too.
In the mean time, set your plane up accurately (KEY!!!) , set a visual "box" (your airspace) and fly some lines, that's all to start, horizontal, 45 degree and vertical lines WITH wind correction. A great tip- stand with your shoulders parallel to your flight line and move your head, not body to keep that line. Corrections want to be "hidden" with rudder rather than banking (point deductions!). Fly with a plan! I'll post my video separately.

Also look at Brian "Yak Dude's" tutorial lesson 6 for a nice narrative and sim demo of the 2013 Basic sequence. Nice work Brian!
http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?t=1709

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
OK, I'll start (I aint proud!). This is day one of practice for 2014 and I had no caller. Not excuse just to say you don't need a caller to practice (it's much better). A certain level of memorization helps but a caller takes some of the stress away and they can set the mood too. Some pilots have the same caller all the time. If you don't have one do not let that stop you. The IMAC community wants to help out and anyone will call for you in a pinch.
Airplane- EF 78"Extra DLE 35RA piped w/ Falcon 20x7, no SFGs (more scale although in Basic no penalty with them).
Airspace- This is what I would fly my 30cc if being judged. Some of the larger planes take up a huge footprint (bone of contention with me coming from IAC training but I'm the new kid. That's another discussion).
Weather- Overcast, cold front approaching, snow flurries (cold!!!), wind from left gusting to 20.
Direction- flying right to left (into wind)
Oh, the "hat cam" is a great way to critique yourself. For $100 I'd go with the HD.
Things to look for- The CG of the Aircraft is your "line" reference not the attitude of the airplane. Wind correction for a line could make it look not vertical- think of watching the CG circle in the middle of the airplane and what line that is painting. Judging seminars are a day long for a reason, there are many nuances. Fortunately there are cheat sheets too!
Hope it helps.
Daren
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkxbGYORrdQ

SnowDog

Cool Daren, thanks for being the first to go!

Please tell me more about your hatcam setup...I still need to get one of those.