• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How much expo for maiden flight

rate1

30cc
image.jpg
View attachment 37382 So now it's done. Maiden this evening with a bud of mine. The flight left nothing to wish for as it could not been a better maiden in my opinion.
I ended up having a bit more throw than recommended low rate by EF as I thought it was too low. The throw was approx 35* rud with 30% expo, elev 30* w/ 30%, ail 30* w/30%. Carefully measured control surfaces for equal deflection L/R. Also, some engine tuning and taxying around before flight. My friend took up his EF Edge 88" for a reference for speed and size.
The flight was uneventfull, i needed 9 clicks of up elevator and she flew straight as an arrow. The first approach was only to get a feel for the traffic pattern, speed and the size of the plane to get the visual referens right. This as we have a very small and narrow field and I don't want to end up in the tall gras. The second approach i ended up perfect alined with good app speed and just let her settle in for a greaser landing. I got superb support from my friend. The weather was perfect and we where alone at the field so no distraktions. Everything was perfect and I'm stoked. Thanks for the support to you guys here.
I can allready now say, with the very limited flight time I got, that this is something else and by far the best plane I ever flown. I'm really looking fwrd to get to know this plane and to enjoy it. I love this hobby and I just maiden my first giant scale.

Last edited:

rate1

30cc
Bbcorvette, oh I was nervous but it is all part of the game. I just choosed to be at the controls for my first giant. I just liked and agreed to what thepamster said. In hindsight, what would a maiden be without some nervs.

thepamster

70cc twin V2
Bbcorvette, oh I was nervous but it is all part of the game. I just choosed to be at the controls for my first giant. I just liked and agreed to what thepamster said. In hindsight, what would a maiden be without some nervs.
This makes me very happy. The feeling of nervousness means that what you are about to do matters and matters a lot. That feeling is to be cherished as a modeler and we all hope it never fades.

rate1

30cc
Thepamster, I think you're right eventhough some others might think differently. For me the nervousness ment that I trippel checked everything, asked for advice, selected a good day, and left very little for a chance. Also, purhaps sharpen my focus for the task. In the end I was rewarded with a great satisfaction of having maiden it myself. Allthough my friend had a lot to do to with the success as well as others shiming in on the subject.
Hopefuly I will start tweeking my model tomorrow which will be fun.
Picture is taken half an hour after my flight and the dusk had started.
image.jpg

Last edited:

thepamster

70cc twin V2
I certainly would not disagree with anyone's advice saying that you should have an experienced pilot maiden AND trim a plane for its first flight.
Wait a minute, I actually did do that. :) That isn't bad advice. It depends on the person really. I had faith in the OP.
Did I mention how pretty that plane is?