• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How much expo for maiden flight

Anything I maiden gets 40% expo. Because the jitters will surely show.

I run 40, 50, 60% expo on all my flight controls, except for helis. They get 0 expo, not even in the flybarless unit.

Definitely find a local giant scale guru , and have him look over your set up and dont be bashful in asking him to maiden it for you.

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
I use the same expo settings as above. Bigger flies better. This will fly amazing just set it up like any other plane and fly

thepamster

70cc twin V2
I am going to disagree with what everyone else has said here so far. Lol.
You can fly this plane. I know it. You know it. Come on!!!!
Maidening your first big plane is something you only do once. Don't let someone else enjoy the feeling that is rightfully yours.
Bigger flies better, a lot better.
There should only be two rates for throws, normal, and holy $%^&. Lol.
Learn to fly the plane not the switches.
Oh yeah, 20-30%expo.:)

Dan767

70cc twin V2
I am going to disagree with what everyone else has said here so far. Lol.
You can fly this plane. I know it. You know it. Come on!!!!
Maidening your first big plane is something you only do once. Don't let someone else enjoy the feeling that is rightfully yours.
Bigger flies better, a lot better.
There should only be two rates for throws, normal, and holy $%^&. Lol.
Learn to fly the plane not the switches.
Oh yeah, 20-30%expo.:)

What she said.

rate1

30cc
Pamster, yes I want to maiden my plane for myself. Allthough I will have a buddy at my shoulder for support. Seams like 30% expo is the general recommendation and that is what I will use together with low rate deflection of the control surfaces.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
My advice, find a really good pilot you trust. Someone that has experience flying that type/size of plane. Have them maiden it for you. Let them trim it out and check the CG. Once they have it dialed in, give it a shot with them standing at your shoulder. Several times I've taken up a new plane, got nervous, then handed it off to my mentor to land.
This is excellent advice. You'll probably do fine on your own, but it's always nice to have someone nearby for moral (and other types of) support. Good luck with the maiden!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
@pawnshopmike has very sound and logical advise. The safest way sometimes too. Only thing is this. As @thepamster pointed out, You only get to maiden your first big plane once. Might as well just bite the bullet, spit the casing out and pull the trigger. You can do it. I remember me....watching a seasoned professional IMAC pilot maiden my baby...(my 260). I was a freaking bundle of nerves. Mind you, this guy is beyond amazing. Yet I was so nervous I was pouring sweat. After that, I figured....If it crashes on maiden then its mine to crash. Now I just mash the gas pedal and go for it. I do however dial in a bit more expo than some do. I like response but I like that response to be a little more gentle.

One thing to keep in mind. If you take your time in your build, check, re-check and then triple check "EVERYTHING", chances are with a quality airframe, setup, motor and such...your maiden will be a blistering success. Definitely have an experienced "hand" take a looksee before the blast off.

Good luck...you'll do awesome. There's nothing like the smile on your face and the joy in your heart when that baby lands and you jump up and down realizing.....YOU DID IT!!!!

Last edited: