• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Finally got my exhaust headers. The DA 150 headers are the perfect ticket for the Evo 176. The ports are a little smaller than the Evo ports. But no worries here. I first used the gasket from the Evo to trace an outline on the DA headers. Then using a hardened die grinder, I opened up the ports on the headers. There is a "LOT" of meat on the flanges so no worries of getting them too thin. Plus since the Evo bolt pattern is like maybe a millimeter closer in pattern, it was necessary to elongate each bolt hole to get them to line up. I have to give credit to Doug, @Super08 for this. It was he that showed how to do it and hence the success of this step. Now that it is all installed, I just "HAD" to do a test run on the motor. To show that I am still a "DIE HARD" when it comes to this hobby, it was about 14 degrees out today, snow on the ground and colder than the hubs of "h" "e" double touthpicks. But with a little assistance from my awesome son, @Shayne Epley, We braved the cold and fired that bad boy up. Here's the numbers. Brand new GP Evo 176 twisting a 3W 3D prop, (31x8-14), Never touched the needles and after a very minor dry flipping to get fuel to the motor... up and running. 1350 rpm at idle. 6330 WOT. Talk about pull....WOW.... is all I can say. Yup, Dave Sullivan and Randy @Spats was right on the money about this motor. Smoooooth....quiet, and beyond powerful. Imagine what it will run like after a few tanks and in warmer weather. To say the least, I am very pleased. Can't wait for it to warm up so I can finally see this bird in action. Oh yea, one more thing. "NOTE TO SELF"; Do not use cheap drill bits when attempting to drill holes. They break, "smash" your thumb and make you say really bad words. LOL
20141231_171931.jpg 20141231_171911.jpg 20141231_194620.jpg 20150101_004048.jpg 20150101_004108.jpg 20150101_004126.jpg

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Oh and I just had to share a couple of pics from my sons "Full on bad ass" PAU 43% Edge. He has the DLE 222 mounted and holy crap....NICE, is all I can say. Ole' dad "WILL" be owning one of these before the year is out. He is taking pictures as he goes along. He seriously needs to do a build thread. :way_to_go:
20150101_160506.jpg
20150101_160703.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I apparently had my phone upright, sorry...but at least it's a video right?
First of the New Year, first run on the Evo!:way_to_go:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
NICE! on both! Some serious power going on. I have to keep telling myself...."I'm happy with what I have." "Bigger" "NO" "HAPPY" "YES" "BIGGER"......NO! HAPPY happy happy .......................................................................................maybe! "No darn it! what the heck is wrong with me? I'm happy with what I have!

Was talkin to myself....And I said....Self! Be happy with what you have!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
NICE! on both! Some serious power going on. I have to keep telling myself...."I'm happy with what I have." "Bigger" "NO" "HAPPY" "YES" "BIGGER"......NO! HAPPY happy happy .......................................................................................maybe! "No darn it! what the heck is wrong with me? I'm happy with what I have!

Was talkin to myself....And I said....Self! Be happy with what you have!
You "SHOULD" be very happy with what you got. After all, You gots a pretty darned sweet little twin. :way_to_go:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I know I really like my EVO 176, been good to me. I am very jealous of the 222 though!
You may have to give me some input on the Evo Terry. So far, I am more impressed than I thought I would. It (the evo) isn't necessarily a "pretty" motor, but it sure runs pretty.

I am very jealous of the 222 also. I should be slapping myself for not getting one.
slapping-penguin-smiley-emoticon.gif

Spats

100cc
Bummer you can't really enjoy that motor for what it can really do yet. Glad to help, I knew you would like it:brian-banana:

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
Finally got my exhaust headers. The DA 150 headers are the perfect ticket for the Evo 176. The ports are a little smaller than the Evo ports. But no worries here. I first used the gasket from the Evo to trace an outline on the DA headers. Then using a hardened die grinder, I opened up the ports on the headers. There is a "LOT" of meat on the flanges so no worries of getting them too thin. Plus since the Evo bolt pattern is like maybe a millimeter closer in pattern, it was necessary to elongate each bolt hole to get them to line up. I have to give credit to Doug, @Super08 for this. It was he that showed how to do it and hence the success of this step. Now that it is all installed, I just "HAD" to do a test run on the motor. To show that I am still a "DIE HARD" when it comes to this hobby, it was about 14 degrees out today, snow on the ground and colder than the hubs of "h" "e" double touthpicks. But with a little assistance from my awesome sone, @Shayne Epley, We braved the cold and fired that bad boy up. Here's the numbers. Brand new GP Evo 176 twisting a 3W 3D prop, (31x8-14), Never touched the needles and after a very minor dry flipping to get fuel to the motor... up and running. 1350 rpm at idle. 6330 WOT. Talk about pull....WOW.... is all I can say. Yup, Dave Sullivan and Randy @Spats was right on the money about this motor. Smoooooth....quiet, and beyond powerful. Imagine what it will run like after a few tanks and in warmer weather. To say the least, I am very pleased. Can't wait for it to warm up so I can finally see this bird in action. Oh yea, one more thing. "NOTE TO SELF"; Do not use cheap drill bits when attempting to drill holes. They break, "smash" your thumb and make you say really bad words. LOL
View attachment 7906 View attachment 7907 View attachment 7908 View attachment 7909 View attachment 7910 View attachment 7911
Looks like you are just about ready. I have heard good stuff about the gps, I will be awesome.

I finished up my Sukhoi on the JR XBuss conversion. My feelings is a giant scale IMAC plane does not need a system like this but I wanted to try it out. I went with the JR redundant receiver system with 2 7 channel recievers that are operating via the XBuss system. I love the idea of less wiring in the plane. Up front I have my throttle servo and ignition kill. This normally uses 2 sets of extensions to operate. Now it uses one extension with an X Buss decoder. Both the servo and ignition kill connects to the decoder. For the back I have 2 elevator servos and 2 rudder servo's. Normally you need 4 sets of extensions to drive these servo's. Now I have a single extension with the decoder at the end, and a 16 gauge power and ground wire. Programming is very simple and fast.

Attachments

• 20150102_113601.jpg
    20150102_113601.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 20150102_113609.jpg
    20150102_113609.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 20150102_113616.jpg
    20150102_113616.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 20150102_113641.jpg
    20150102_113641.jpg