• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
You "SHOULD" be very happy with what you got. After all, You gots a pretty darned sweet little twin. :way_to_go:

That's a fact! I was just petting it and my dog got upset so I put it back in the box for now. The 3Dub aint too shabby neither!
Just finished a neat test stand so I can determine the worthiness of my glow crap (which I really enjoy). I am going to build one for gassers as well and add a means of measuring thrust. Not wanting to blow up this thread with my crap but here is a pic of a glow crap test bench.

Photo252.jpg

Spats

100cc
I finished up my Sukhoi on the JR XBuss conversion. My feelings is a giant scale IMAC plane does not need a system like this but I wanted to try it out. I went with the JR redundant receiver system with 2 7 channel recievers that are operating via the XBuss system. I love the idea of less wiring in the plane. Up front I have my throttle servo and ignition kill. This normally uses 2 sets of extensions to operate. Now it uses one extension with an X Buss decoder. Both the servo and ignition kill connects to the decoder. For the back I have 2 elevator servos and 2 rudder servo's. Normally you need 4 sets of extensions to drive these servo's. Now I have a single extension with the decoder at the end, and a 16 gauge power and ground wire. Programming is very simple and fast.

Looks very nice. I think something new in front of that plane would look great;)

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
That's pretty darned cool Kelly....wanna build me one? Hmmm?????

Just let me know what engines you want to test run and I can get you built up. The neat thing is it simply uses two bolts to hold it to a clamped 2x4. Something for big gassers would be considerably larger and would require a "dual" rail instead of the single rail used on the one in the pic. But here is what you could do......Install two 4x4 fence posts (in the yard) and two 2x4 studs screwed to the post's to act as the dual rail support. You could actually test that 222 quad on the test stand with those type of fence post's anchored in the yard with concrete. Just have to dig a couple of post holes.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just let me know what engines you want to test run and I can get you built up. The neat thing is it simply uses two bolts to hold it to a clamped 2x4. Something for big gassers would be considerably larger and would require a "dual" rail instead of the single rail used on the one in the pic. But here is what you could do......Install two 4x4 fence posts (in the yard) and two 2x4 studs screwed to the post's to act as the dual rail support. You could actually test that 222 quad on the test stand with those type of fence post's anchored in the yard with concrete. Just have to dig a couple of post holes.
Smart A$$!!!! LOL

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So I spent today putting baffles in the cowl on the Sukhoi. I really don't think it is going to need too much, but will feel better that the air is being "forced" across the jugs before exiting the cowl down the can tunnel. Drilled and installed rubber gromets for the choke pull rod, (bottom of cowl) and carb adjustment needles, (left side of cowl) Getting pretty close to be done with the Sukhoi. About all that is left now is to cut the spinner larger for the 3W prop, Decide for sure what I am going to do for vent or louvers on the bottom of the fuse where the can tunnel is. Had planned to use the black vents I purchased from TDRC, but really don't think they are going to allow the air flow I need or want. And lastly, balance. Then boom....wait three months for decent maiden flight weather. Hmmm.....maybe Tanner will save some nice warm weather down there in Cali. I could take it down there and maiden eh? Hee hee
20150103_153914.jpg 20150103_153936.jpg 20150103_154010.jpg 20150103_154412.jpg 20150103_162041.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Get some vid soon with sunshine reflecting off the wings! Aint gonna happen down here and a nice cold front moving in.....
more glow crap to follow!lol

Your air flow should be good brother! put those black louvers on! Orange and black rock.
Keep up your air speed while breaking in that beast of a motor to insure cooling flow. Avoid stalled flight at first and get the kinks and worms nocked off your shoulder.