• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Last night I finished rehinging the rudder. I started by drilling new holes and fitting the hinges. Then I needed to fill in the slots from the original hinges with balsa wood. After trimming and sanding my balsa plugs I covered them with some red striping tape I had on hand. It's not a perfect match, but it sure isn't worth buying a roll of covering to change.

I then used @Terryscustom ideas for gluing in the hinges by using a hole punch and tape to protect the area around the hinge, and heating up some Vaseline in the bottom of an upside-down soda can and dipping the hinge section of the hinge in to keep glue from sticking to it. I also used Vaseline on my carbon fiber rod to keep glue from sticking to it.
After gluing the hinges in with 30 minute epoxy I waited until the epoxy had setup, but wasn't totally hard and picked off any excess glue and then pulled out the carbon fiber rod, took the rudder off, and cleaned of any epoxy or Vaseline.

View attachment 97298 View attachment 97299 View attachment 97300 View attachment 97301 View attachment 97302 View attachment 97304

That rudder is never going to come of. It is on forever. Nice job and it looks professional. One question though looking through the pictures do you have 2 5000 mAh packs in the plane. If so why so much. In my biggest plane and flying hard with some pretty big servos I have never been able to take more than 350mAh per flight that is also using an IBec.
Looks like you still had one of those old JR 12 channel receivers you lucky I have been looking for one there are none to be had from somebody reliable or new.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes, they discontinued the PowerSafe Telemetry receivers the day I went to buy one. I found out a few days later that a friend had a new, old style 12 channel that he had never used and wanted to sell so I jumped on it.

The reason I have 5000mah batteries is that a friend basically gave them to me. :)

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Today I spent quite a bit of time on the Extra. I decided I hate the tail wheel and I've heard about some of them breaking, so I changed the carriage to a Pilot one I had on hand. I had to make a few custom parts to make it work, but I'm happy with the results. I just never liked the Hangar 9 wire carriage, it just looks cheap and weak.

I also installed the rudder servo and linkage, the four Spektrum satellites, and finished all the wiring.

I also included a picture of the tail post with the rudder pulled off. My red striping tape repair to cover the old hinge patches looks good enough. I really like how the Robart hinges with a removable pin worked out.

20170704_142920_resized.jpg
20170704_162414_resized.jpg
20170704_232037_resized.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Today I spent quite a bit of time on the Extra. I decided I hate the tail wheel and I've heard about some of them breaking, so I changed the carriage to a Pilot one I had on hand. I had to make a few custom parts to make it work, but I'm happy with the results. I just never liked the Hangar 9 wire carriage, it just looks cheap and weak.

I also installed the rudder servo and linkage, the four Spektrum satellites, and finished all the wiring.

I also included a picture of the tail post with the rudder pulled off. My red striping tape repair to cover the old hinge patches looks good enough. I really like how the Robart hinges with a removable pin worked out.

View attachment 97308 View attachment 97309 View attachment 97310
Like the tail wheel that is a big improvement and a lot better. Really like the out come of the rudder it looks good and well done. Hope to remember how you did it next time I believe I will do the same. Nice to be able to remove the rudder. The plane it coming along now.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Like the tail wheel that is a big improvement and a lot better. Really like the out come of the rudder it looks good and well done. Hope to remember how you did it next time I believe I will do the same. Nice to be able to remove the rudder. The plane it coming along now.
Thanks, I'm hoping to have the majority of it done by the end of this weekend. Time will tell.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Tonight I decided to tackle the vent hole in the bottom of the fuse. Hangar 9 wants you to cut the covering off a giant hole in the bottom of the airplane. There is no way I could stand having a 5" x 9" gaping wound in the bottom of my airplane so I decided to make a vented plate to go in the hole.

So thanks to a Spiral Cut blade in my Scroll saw and some sand paper I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm planning on gluing it in. There really isn't any reason to make it removable. Then I'll iron the covering down to it and cut out the slots.

20170705_223853_resized.jpg
20170705_204036_resized.jpg
20170705_214036_resized.jpg
20170705_223716_resized.jpg
20170705_223823_resized.jpg

BalsaDust

That looks great. Yeah the spiral scroll saw blades are awesome. Gotta be careful with them though as they can get away from you quick if your not used to how they work.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
No that looks a lot better than just big stupid hole I do not like them especially when flying it like you forgot to install something.
Nice fit around the edges tough to do no a finished aeroplane

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I finished up a few things tonight. The tail wheel springs and rudder linkage and hinge pin are on for good. I left the right side on the rudder horn, even though I'm only using the left side, just in case I need to add another servo. I also installed the 300x graphics to both sides of the fuselage.

Everything inside the fuse is done except the final battery placement. I installed the gear and axles, but still need to glue on the cuffs and install the wheels and pants. After that I'll bolt the engine back on and install the exhaust. Then the fuse goes out in the family room so I can split the cowl.

20170707_220941_resized.jpg
20170707_210827_resized.jpg
20170707_211352_resized.jpg