• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GoPro mount?

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
You can mount it there, but you won't get anything for video except sky and the propeller. You want to aim it outside the propeller arc if possible and slightly down, otherwise you get nothing but sky with no horizon except when turning or descending. The only plane I have done it on is a cub on floats, after the first video of seeing nothing while mounted on top of the wing, I moved it to the struts for the floats. That worked much better.

3D-Joy

50cc
I also mounted a Go-Pro mount just behind the canopy on my plane too. I simply used 2 small 4-40 SHCS along the middle of the mount. I did not use the awesome 2 sided tape. During a blender the mount broke in half LOL. In the front of the plane I have another mount just behind the cowling, with the tape and a single 4-40 bolt and this one holds up great so far.

Use that double face tape !

Unfortunately, the card inside the camera somehow shifted on impact with the ground so the video of the camera departing the plane was corrupted and unreadable.

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
I've mounted sever other people's go pros on the wingtip of my EF extra 104. Watch the vibes and use neoprene backed washers and all 3 bolt holes.

Mikeq

150cc
I must be a risk taker...I mounted mine right in front of the canopy to get a pilot's view and used the mount that came with it which was 3M double stick tape....so far it has stayed put no problems through many flights...no additional screws or bolts were used just the tape provided. Oh it's stayed put for almost 2 years now.

jaybird

70cc twin V2
I built a mount that bolts into the wingtip SFG holes on my 35% Extra. Facing the camera back towards the plane is a really cool angle. I still need to fine tune it, was getting bad vibration.

Wouldn't attaching the adhesive mount to the monocote/ultracote stretch it any, or even break or tear the film? I guess the use of the lanyard would be extra insurance.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
The sticky mounts are pretty solid, I've had the same one on a motorcycle helmet for over 10,000 miles of mostly off-road riding, plus some 75+ mph freeway riding. It's never failed me, the lanyard is just insurance so I don't lose $300 from a broken $5 part! If you mounted it on a sheeted part, it shouldn't cause any problems with the covering.