• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GoPro mount?

So I got a good deal on a new GoPro Hero 4 black, and I'm wondering what everyone's experience is with mounting them to your plane and what works the best.

Last edited:
I mounted a GoPro to my landing gear with the GoPro clamp kit. I still have the clamp but the camera is somewhere in the woods in Mocksville. The vibration broke the plastic mount.
If I ever get another camera I will use a second strap of some kind so if the mount breaks the camera will dangle by a string or chain.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
When I put mine on my helmet for a motorcycle ride, I use a short tether with a caribiner clipped to the helmet just in case. I made the tether out of fishing leader material, cheap insurance in case the mount breaks. With that said, I've never broken one of the brackets and I've used several different styles.

I actually ended up getting the Hero 3+ from Costco which is still a good deal. Other one was canceled. Was hoping to find a mount that can be strapped to the plane if possible or real sturdy mount as it would be a lot of money to lose if it were to come off.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
You could get the chest mount, it has straps to wrap around the plane. But don't just trust that, run a tether from the camera case to the landing gear or something solid on the plane so it's still attached if the mount were to fail.

I've used the handlebar clamp on my landing gear before. I put a piece of foam cut from one those foam floor tiles on both sides.

I didn't tether mine, but tethering is an excellent idea, keep it short though. If it comes off, it'll be when you're really jacking it around. A camera slinging into a prop would be no bueno.

The footage is best when you're just flying lazy, slow maneuvers. Knife edge spins and the like are just a blur.

Spats

100cc
Good info.
Been learning mine and wondering what is a good standard setting for recording? I think I've been recording to hi quality as it takes forever to down load.

I was thinking about the handlebar clamp too for landing gear just wasn't sure how it would work, and yes tethering would be a good idea.