• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Glassing and Painting techniques

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Anyone have any advice on how to paint on a cowl, red and black checker box pattern?
this has been primed already.
If you use dolphin glaze, after applying and sanding, do you re=prime, or can you put paint color over it?
That depends on how much is showing. If it's just little dots from pinholes it won't be an issue. Most of the time, unless it's a high metallic color, small spots aren't a big deal. With metallic colors it can leave a dark spot.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I know this will be frowned upon but I have to ask. Has any of you thought of painting an aerobatic plan. Have some ideas, would like to see if this can be discussed with in this form.

I know this will be frowned upon but I have to ask. Has any of you thought of painting an aerobatic plan. Have some ideas, would like to see if this can be discussed with in this form.

I'm seriously considering painting a carden pro in the future if I can keep the total weight of the plane and a da200L below 39 lbs. Discuss away please! If you start a new thread, please add a link from here.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'm seriously considering painting a carden pro in the future if I can keep the total weight of the plane and a da200L below 39 lbs. Discuss away please! If you start a new thread, please add a link from here.

Check out the classic pattern forums (RCU and RCG's). We classic pattern fans love painting planes. There are many ways to keep the weight down.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Dhal22 I think you have been around as long as I have and have also painted a few. But all the pattern planes that we played with in that time were painted very heavy. Some were even sprayed with several layers of epoxy. Don't get me wrong there were guys that made some beautiful aeroplanes. But they were all fully sheeted and made out of balsa wood. My concern and how to get around the new super light 3D planes is the open structure of the fuselage. The wings, stabs and rudder are sheeted foam which are easy to do Jetpanter has proven that. To the open structure that I would like to discuss.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
There are a few options for painting open structures. My guess, the lightest of them would be Ultracote and then paint. Many people have done this with good results. I have done some striping in paint on Ultracote and Monocote in the past and painted stripes on the Ultracote on a sheeted wing on a Speeda Pattern plane many years ago. It works pretty well, though I don't know how well it would hold up in the long run.

Option 2 is a fabric covering. My favorite is Solartex. It goes on super easy and is tough as nails. We have also used it on a fuse where most of it was sheeted and the bottom is open stringers. We glassed the sheeted areas and then used the Solartex over the open areas and filled the seam where they met, and then painted everything. It held up very well. The fabric is heavier in my opinion, but it holds up great.

I have also used other fabrics like Koverall, Colortex and Worldtex. Other people like Stits fabric, but I've have never used it.

There may be other options, but this is what i can come up with off the top of my head.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
One other thing. I will be doing the wings, rudder and elevators on my project with Solartex in a few weeks. I will post my results.