• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Futaba 8FG(S)

I owned a DX7 and a JR X9303. I liked both radios and prefered the JR. In my first airplane with the DX7, I mistakenly used a 4 cell NiCad and I payed the price for it. After that, I only used 6v batteries and never lost another airplane to a "brown out" or a lost link. However, I always made dang sure my batteries were well charged before I flew, and I even purchased a battery checker that would provide a load to the battery to make dang sure the battery was good before each flight.

But, when I decided to start flying bigger planes, 30, and 50cc airframes...I decided to make the switch to a Futaba 8FGs. I did this for two reasons, one fore programming ease, and the second for piece of mind. I still constantly check my voltage, but I have felt much more connected to my airplanes since the switch.

As an example for programming:

I purchased a GP Reactor which uses 2 servos for each aileron, 1 for each side of the elevator, 1 for rudder, and 1 for throttle. 8 servos total. With the X9303 I could not program the aileron servos without either a Y harness, which I loath, or a match box. I had not yet purchased my 8FG, so I utilized a match box for one side. The programming took me approximately 1 hour to complete. Do not get me started on the pain in the butt extra satellites....

Anyway, when I got the 8FG in, I installed a 14 channel receiver and opened up the manual. 20 minutes later, incuding the time it took to read the manual, I was done and ready to head to the flying field.

The 8FGs is butter smooth and the programming is amazing. It takes a bit to learn, but so does anything new. I love being able to assign my own channels, and name my own switches. I do miss the BNF micros sometimes, but it was a small price to pay for the quality and ease of use I gained.

I don't like the low volume alarm, but I have trained myself to raise up my radio so that I can view the timer and keep an eye on my airplane. I learned to do that with my JR, and when I first began flying, 12 years ago I used my radio to block the sun when I was dumb enough to fly "through" it. Most of the time, I keep a cheap 99 cent timer in my radio box that is louder than Rosanne Barr and I just clip it to my shirt pocket.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Timley thread. I do have a question though. I see there is a Heli and plane version. Can I use one for both or is that not possible? I may be getting into qaudcopters soon but right now I am all airplanes.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/futaba/futk8010.html

Thanks,

Frank

Yes you can use either for either type of aircraft. There may be more differences but basically the heli version has a smooth throttle and the plane version has a ratcheted throttle. The other difference is when you first turn it on. The heli version startes up the first time in the heli mode and vice versa.

Will...thanks for sharing your switchover story. I have a 9303 and have been debating lately about switching to the 8FG. One thing I really look for in radios is solid and precise feel through the gimbals. You'll have to let me try the radio sometime!

Frank

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Will...thanks for sharing your switchover story. I have a 9303 and have been debating lately about switching to the 8FG. One thing I really look for in radios is solid and precise feel through the gimbals. You'll have to let me try the radio sometime!

Frank

I love your Avatar :) and you will love the 8FG

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
what would be the best rx to use in my twisted hobbys edge if i get the 8fg?

I have been using the R6004FF receiver with great (it's a Futaba) results and it is only 3.8g on my foamies. I used it on my 7C and now 8FG.

futl7624.jpg