• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Fibertech Hyperlite Slick 540 Build Thread

The tail surfaces look great and the counter balanced elevators will work well and take some loads off of the servos.
I counter balanced the elevators on the Laser 200. I also split the ailerons anxious to see how they will work out. I have not covered anything yet so will be sometime before any hinging will be done I have a lot of work to be completed before any covering will be installed.

On my 46 % Ultimate I used Hitec 5645 servos on the those elevators and during hard dives and pull outs I never had any fading that I noticed with those servos. I had a DA 150 in the Ultimate and it was not a light weight model around 38 pounds.

Keep up the good work and glad to see you are finding time to build and feeling better.

Spats

100cc
I got the stabs/elevators and fin/rudder in the bags today. You see the carbon fiber placement in the photos. I'm going to deviate from the plans and add counter balances to the elevators. I was able to get all three items in the vacuum bag with the small pump without any problems. I sure do like this vacuum bagging. I'm going to try and get the wings ready during the week so maybe I can get them bagged next weekend. Finally making some good progress again.

Wow, where have I seen all this before? LOL.
Looking great. I did the counter balance on the stabs also and I am thinking about doing it on the ailerons.

I am not going to do the split aileron thing, it just to much to think about while flying for me.
Thanks for the updates.

Spats

100cc
@Terryscustom and @Bipenut
I am so on the fence if I should try this . I was thinking if I did do this I would use a hollow core door from lowes as a flat building surface. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Adam

Adam,
I also use the MDF. very solid and flat. Nothing to be nervous about building this plane. Bipenut is right, lots of help here and I think the Viper is a bit easier as it's a pre cut fuse. But either way both are great planes.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Wow, where have I seen all this before? LOL.
Looking great. I did the counter balance on the stabs also and I am thinking about doing it on the ailerons.

I am not going to do the split aileron thing, it just to much to think about while flying for me.
Thanks for the updates.
Spats. It would be a good time do the split ailerons even if you don't set up flaps. It makes setup a breeze and if you decide you want to try flaps in the future, you are all ready to go. Doesn't hurt anything to do it right now.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
this
mdf_txgsv.jpg

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Adam,
I also use the MDF. very solid and flat. Nothing to be nervous about building this plane. Bipenut is right, lots of help here and I think the Viper is a bit easier as it's a pre cut fuse. But either way both are great planes.

I think the Viper would be easier to build too especially if you have not built a kit before. I can tell you that this plane is the third kit I have built, and I'm really enjoying it.

Spats I'm going to split my ailerons and I think Eric has a very good point.

Spats

100cc
I will think about the ailerons but not sure when I would use the flaps. I fly 3D in a very small box pattern within about 200 feet of myself and almost always harrier land within a 30 foot distance and that's with my 40% planes. I think this plane will almost land like a helicopter. In the 80's I spent countless hours perfecting my flaps on my scale planes and loved it but now doing a regular landing puts me to sleep. LOL.
This is one reason I REALLY changed the landing gear mounts on this plane and added a couple more balsa bones to the box.

If I do the Viper I will definitely put flaps on it.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
I'm not really a 3D flyer, but I'm going to try and learn some this year with this plane. I'm going to split mine because of the ease of setting up the dual servos without them fighting each other or binding. I bought the Viper and it looks like a very nice kit, I'm looking forward to building it.