• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Fibertech Hyperlite Slick 540 Build Thread

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Okay everyone I'm going to try and attempt to do a build thread. I'm not a real fast builder since I work during the week and also have family activities I have to attend since I have two teenage daughters . The weekends are usually when I get time in the shop. I picked this kit up from Rick at Fibertech N More. Rick has done an excellent job cutting this kit. The wood is great along with all the foam, and the fiberglass that comes with it. You will not be disappointed with his kit, it is very high quality.

This will be the second plane I have built. The first one was a Lanier Staudacher that I built last year that is the picture of my avatar. I'm going to build this plane just the way it was designed by Kevin Walker.

I know that Terry did a build thread on this plane a while back. I'm no where near the the builder that Terry is, if you don't know who I'm talking about you need to check out the Viper-ST 100-120 build by Terryscustom amoung the other threads he has going. He also did a very informative thread on vacuum bagging.

After reading the Vaccum Bagging thread I decided that I wanted to vacuum bag the foam in this kit. I ordered the EZ-Vac pump kit from ACP Composites on Friday and I hope to get it next week. I also have decided to use the West System resin instead of the poly glue I used on my Staudacher, so this is totally new to me but I'm looking forward to learning something new. I have a buddy that is wanting to finish his 38% Laser 200 so we will vacuum bag his wings too.

My shop is not real big, it is only 10' x 22' so this is going to be a cramped build, but I will make it work. When it comes time to set the incidence I will move it over to the garage where I have a lot more room.

Here are the spec's on the plane.

Wing Span: 119"
Fuse Length with spinner 109"
Weight depending on set up: 26-28lbs
Motor 85cc-100cc (DA100 recommende

Well enough of the chatter lets get to building. I looked the plans and the manual over and got started on building the fuse sides today. I have a piece of 3/4" MDF that I will use for my building board. I picked up a couple of pieces of 6' X 3/4" aluminum angle and screwed them down over to plans and wax paper. I scarf cut the stiffest and straightest 3/8" balsa on the sander to make the longerons and attached them with clamps to the 3/4" angle. If you notice I ended up using binder clamps that you can buy from Staples, these are really cheap and they work extremely well for holding the longerons against the angle. I got all the sticks cut and glued in place. I pulled the sides up off the plans up and splined sanded them. I used several sheets of 80 grit sand paper attached to another piece of MDF. After I had both sides sanded I glued in the anti-rotation doublers and the stab/rudder servo plates. I have gotten about as far as I can now until I get the motor box built. I'm going to try and get it built this week.

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Thanks for doing this..Ill be watching..good work so far and for sure you wont be disappointed in vacuum bagging the foam.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
I didn't get much time to work on the plane today but I did get started on the motor box. I have the top glued to the right and left sides and the firewall installed. Then installed F2B, MB floor and the tank tray and glued everything with thin CA. I got the 3/8" stock glued to the bottom of the MB floor tray, bottom of the fuel tank tray and to the sides of the motor box. (The binder clips really worked good doing this since there isn't much room to get clamps in this space). Tomorrow I will try and get the rest of the motor box finished up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 432
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 427
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 484
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg