• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Fibertech Hyperlite Slick 540 Build Thread

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
I went out before work this morning and pulled the hatch out of the shucks. I put them in the bag yesterday right around noon so they had been in the bag for 17 hours. You can see the indentation in picture where the plywood strips were on the shuck, the vacuum is a whole lot better than using weights. The hatch looks great and you can see some resin coming out of the seams on the sheeting. I did have some epoxy on the finished side of the hatch that must have been on my thumb and didn't know it when I put it in the Shucks. It definitely pulled some of the foam out of the shuck. I hit it with a sander real quick and knocked some of it off, you can see some if it towards the edge of the hatch in my pictures. I will change gloves next time in between rolling on the resin and putting the balsa sheets in the shucks.

Attachments

• 20141215_063459_resized.jpg
    20141215_063459_resized.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 360
  • 20141215_063605_resized.jpg
    20141215_063605_resized.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 389
  • 20141215_063810_resized.jpg
    20141215_063810_resized.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 20141215_063757_resized.jpg
    20141215_063757_resized.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 365

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Very nice! You will find that the resin sands easily just remember to resist the urge to sand the parts all the wat to the edge until they are in place or installed. It's easy to change the profile or get the sheeting too thin on the edges until that parts are in place.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Very nice! You will find that the resin sands easily just remember to resist the urge to sand the parts all the wat to the edge until they are in place or installed. It's easy to change the profile or get the sheeting too thin on the edges until that parts are in place.

Thanks for letting me know that, I would have sanded them flush, but that makes since what you said.

I am so happy you called me yesterday and asked me to come over to see the vacuum operation on the Edge 540 hatch, it was a first for both of us. I am very excited about sheeting the wings on my 38 percent Laser 200 now that I have seen the ease of this operation. It sure beats carrying a lot of heavy concrete blocks to the basement to apply pressure on the foam parts to attach the balsa sheeting. The vacuum operation will apply pressure evenly over the parts being sheeted with balsa. Great job and the Edge 540 will look great flying next summer.

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Looks great Carl. Soothing about vacuum bagged parts is the even feel different to the touch over weighted parts. Like Terry said only sand the surface that needs to mate to another surface and do all the profile surface sanding last. Kind of a dumb rule of mine but don't sand areas until close to covering that could get hanger rash.

Last edited:

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
I am so happy you called me yesterday and asked me to come over to see the vacuum operation on the Edge 540 hatch, it was a first for both of us. I am very excited about sheeting the wings on my 38 percent Laser 200 now that I have seen the ease of this operation. It sure beats carrying a lot of heavy concrete blocks to the basement to apply pressure on the foam parts to attach the balsa sheeting. The vacuum operation will apply pressure evenly over the parts being sheeted with balsa. Great job and the Edge 540 will look great flying next summer.

Thanks Elwin, as soon as you get that Ultimate done then you can get started on those wings and we will get them vacuum bagged.