• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
Obviously something unusual is going on here. However I will have to point out that Enterprise is not the only one making assumptions. This is not an argument, just a statement of fact. I would love to hear what really is the cause for the unusual sounding experience Ken is having. At this point we are all just guessing.

ryan_m

100cc
Sounds to me like one possibility is that a freight order costs about 120 bucks. And doesn't cost significantly more if the order is larger. So he wound up paying the same price for one plane as for two.

Here again I really fail to see the problem... the shipping from 3dhs, EF, or many companies on a 50cc bird is 100-150 depending on the company. So in this case the biggest thing is that the 35cc/74-78" planes cost in the same class as a 50cc plane. In Ken's case I would just be ecstatic that I was lucky enough to get two planes for 120 bucks. I long ago accepted the cost of shipping a 35cc/74-78" plane. Doesn't make me happy, but I very much DO believe that EF is merely passing along the costs that they incur to ship these. So to me, in my way of looking at it, Ken got an incredible deal on getting the two planes shipped.

Now - one possible thing that EF could do to reduce shipping costs is to split a 35cc plane up into two boxes, then perhaps the fuse box would be smaller, and not put it up into the large UPS category, and then the other box would be even smaller, so perhaps both boxes could be shipped for under 100 bucks then. However then they pay for two boxes/plane, and I'm sure it would take up more room on the container as well. So in the end, although it may save the end user more money, it may wind up costing them more to do that. But it may also mean that they sell more planes in this size, and that may offset... who knows.

I shipped a 104 Extra, a 110 Yak, and a 60 Edge last season and the shipping was $125 (7 boxes). I just paid the same to ship a 74" Laser and a 60" Yak. We got two shipments before that with a 104 extra and 2x 83 MXSs, all at the same cost. I know for us, RTL charges the same regardless of size.

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
I'm impressed with the quality of their products and even more impressed with the fact that someone has answered the phone every time I've called. If they charge more...maybe it's made up for by their awesome customer service. I own a business and sometimes get scolded because my prices are higher than some of the other bids the prospective client has received. I believe in using top quality materials etc blah blah blah...at the end of it all...if price is the focus above all else...they'll hire the other guy. My attitude is that I'm not lowering the quality of my product in order to meet some ones price point. I've been in business for myself for 25 years. I apologize if this sounds conceited...I don't mean for it to...I'm just trying to offer my perspective. Maybe Extreme Flight has the same attitude in that if you value quality and customer service, you'll pay extra...if not the market will bear that out and they'll lose business and then be forced to make adjustments. Maybe they believe their products are superior to the competition and charge accordingly. I guess if you believe that, you'll buy from them, if you don't, you'll purchase something else. For me, the customer service is worth it. as someone suggested earlier, a shipping calculator would help so people could see the bottom line before they order.

sr175

30cc
A little bit different scenario but a couple months ago I got a 48" EF Extra and it cost $149.
I'm no expert but I am looking for a 70-80" plane and have looked at EF, 3DHS, and aeroworks. For the equal plane the price comes out about the same counting plane cost and shipping. Again just looking at the cost. RC forums like to debate about value. Each person has different values kinda like a motor oil discussion. The problem I am having is figuring out which model to get and gas or electric! Wish I knew which one to get :). They all scream at me but one isn't screaming louder than another.

sr175

30cc
I'm impressed with the quality of their products and even more impressed with the fact that someone has answered the phone every time I've called.
This is why I own a EF plane right now. I looked at EF 3dhs and aeroworks. I asked them questions and believe it or not EF was the ONLY one that ever got back to me on any question I asked. They deserved to get my money at that point. They will again be at top of list for next plane but prob not the only one.

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
I can't help you there sr175. I'm flying a 60" Laser and a 48" Extra. I love them both. The 74" Laser is getting good reviews. [MENTION=271]Enterprise[/MENTION] is a good source of info.

I have owned a ton of 30cc airframes including all the 3DHS and EF offerings in this category as well as Pilot-RC, EG and now AJ aircraft. I am personally trending towards electric in this size, but my new 74" Laser with DA-35/ES pipe is going to make a run for the "best" setup as it is just stupid power with a Vess 20B spinning at 7850 RPM.

We could go on and on about which is better between gas and electric. I like the consistent and instant power of electric better for doing 3D tricks and instilling conifidence to get lower and lower. The gas let you fly twice as long so you get more stick time and my setups tend to be get better XA results as they allow you build up more speed to throw into a tumble. I take two sets of packs to the line and fly electric back to back to get the flight time to be closer to the gas.

Answering the question of which power source you want to do will be the first step to the correct airframe. Even though this is a EF thread, I think 3DHS makes "better" pure 30cc models. The EF stuff is 35-40cc and needs bigger, more expensive power systems. I did not like the 70" Extra EXP becuase it is not violent enough for my tastes. It flies wonderfully though.

I have flown Tyler's Aeroworks 30cc freestyle and it is on the heavy side at 12+ pounds. It has a lot of wing to carry it around and being short coupled, it does some tricks very violently. [MENTION=3092]Lovemyxtra[/MENTION] has owned this plane and replaced it with the EF 83" MXS with the same motor only with a ES pipe and he says it is night and day better.

After picking a power system, flying style comes in next. The EF Extras draw great lines and does low and slow very well, but doesn't XA as well as the MXS, Laser, or 3DHS 330SC or Edge.

sr175

30cc
Some good thoughts to think about. Thanks. This will be my first step into larger scale a/c. First thing I thought about after speaking around the club then searching the forums was gas or electric. Don't think one is better than another. I have only done electric and its clean and quick but A large plane requires far bigger batteries than I have and would requie me to buy another charger. I already got an icharger but it will only go up to 8S so I am kinda out of luck. I also want more flying time. Each tank lasts longer and refill is far faster than charging. Again not knocking electric but for me gas is starting to look good for me. I am going through the threads and reading everything you guys have said. Many are in both 3dhs and ef forums all the time because they own both. I noticed that 3dhs in this class only recommends 30 cc where ef is larger just as you said. I was interested in the 78 EF extra but there were two problems. Some people had a couple bad comments about the rudder as well as its the same exact scheme as my 48" yeh small thing but im not gonna fly an ugly plane that costs me $1500! In this case not ugly at all but same as what i already have. Some of the 3dhs stuff looks great too. I also noticed that most of the talk is about electric and gas is getting hard to find good data on but will keep reading and take in the knowledge thats already here which is considerable. I may entertain 80" range too but then your talking more power and money maybe a bit more than 35cc will see as this area is new to me. The 70" range is definitely changing recently and lots of new comers from both brands. I am also entertaining aeroworks as you said with the qbl. I will keep doing my research since everyone i know has much bigger planes than the 70-80 inch range or have the 60 and that's not much of a jump but still considerable over my 48. Thanks again for the comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I fly gas and primarily only gas. I'm kinda old school and half of the thrill for me is swinging that big ole prop by hand to hear her come to life and growl! (Insert Tim "the tool man" Taylor grunt).

I will say their is a place for electric in my life and that is any plane below what I can put a 30/35cc gasser in. I know their are 15cc gassers and up but those engines tend to be difficult to start and tune. I've watched smart guys chase the needles for days with much frustration!

I've had DA and DLE and the DLE's is so far the only one I have NOT had to touch the needles at all! The dle 55 (I've had a couple) and my DLE-111 v3 were perfect out of the box. I'n sure it was luck and probably Tuesday's batch of motors! :)