• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

ryan_m

100cc
SR175 - what are you looking for in a 7x" plane? What's your primary flying style? All out 3d pilot, lots of down on the deck rollers, hovers, harriers, etc? XA type flying? Smoother precision with some 3d mixed in? Something else?

The choices from 3dhs and EF in this size all lend themselves to one style or another I think. And so knowing what you are looking for, many of us could give helpful advice on what to look more closely at.

If you are set on electric don't be worried that your charger only does 8s, really it's more about the watt rating. You can always parallel charge two batteries at once. Two 6s batteries makes a 12s setup. And that's how everybody gets their 12s setups, there aren't really any 12s single batteries to buy. So an 8s charger can easily charge two 6s packs. If you have an iCharger 208, it's got plenty of power to charge two 6s packs at the same time using parallel cables. Given that, the field is wide open, and you could fly the larger EF 7x" planes, or the smaller 3dhs 7x" planes. For me, on electric, my favorite is either the 71" Slick or the 70" Velox. They are noticeably lighter than the 72" Extra and 74" Edge from 3dhs, and they do well on a 6s setup. Which means a single battery to charge. I tried 8s for a while on a 74" Edge, and preferred the smoother feel of the 6s setup, even though it was less power. I've also had a few 50cc class airplanes on electric setups (89" Slick, 87" Extra 330) using 12s packs and although I had plenty of charger power I just got tired of changing packs for a short 6 minute flight. On the bigger planes it seems like your battery goes by so fast. The planes are easier and more relaxing to fly and I find myself always wanting longer flight times. So for me, gas is the way to go on anything over 10.5-11 lb planes.
I've never flown the EF 70" Extra, which would probably fit right in as an electric for me, but I'm quite happy with my electric Velox and the larger EF 76" MXS on gas with a DA-35.

Last edited by a moderator:
If transport is not a issue, then consider getting a 50cc plane. We have 8 of the bigger EF planes up here, and all of them have 7955 or bigger servos, and the cheapest power system is my VVRC-40. The rest either have 35cc motors with $200 ES pipes or 12s electric. One can do the Redwing 50cc slick with a DLE-55 for close to the same money.

What kind of data are you looking for? We talk about power systems all the time over on the EF power systems thread both here and on RCG. The summary is we seem to prefer 6s electric at 10 pounds or so, and anything bigger we go to 12s and use 2x 6s 3300-3700 for the most part. On gas motors for lighter setups I prefer the OS GT33, and for bigger it is either the VVRC-40 or 35cc and a pipe. These all spin 20-21" props with the electrics capable of spinner bigger props slower. Gas on a pipe has the advantage of spinning a 20x7 prop up to high RPM so you can getv a better speed range as it will still fly slow, but eventually get up to speed to do XA. Speed recovery is much quicker electric.

My break point has moved from 30cc to 35cc, just like Ryan's. The only thing currently saving 35cc is my limited experience with the DA-35/ES pipe. I have done 10, 15, and 20cc multiple times and I think once I get done with my 15cc EF Edge, I will be completely out below 35cc for gas. I do have some slimers left, and for certain applications I will still fiddle with that power source, especially for seaplanes. A OS 55AX on a pipe is a real fun power system, but to each their own.

sr175

30cc
Actually both of those along with the great stuff before helped with most of my decision mainly around power system as well as educate me a bit. To be honest I really think I will go with gas as I want a longer flight time plus I think I just want to venture into gas. It would be my first one to be honest. I know I am not the first one to go with first gas on a large airplane and may not be the best idea but I think i will do it anyway. Other than the $100 difference in regular price between the dle-35ra (dle sale going on right now) and the da35 what are any real differences? I see an awful lot of what appears to be brand loyalty but was looking why spend the extra? DA does give an additional year warranty and I have heard their service is great from friends who have them. But I know more with the dle-20 and 35 and they are very happy. I'm kinda seeing that when looking at differences we are really looking at very minute small differences since everything from plane to power systems has improved so much. Right?

Just so I am clear when you talk about XA you do mean extreme aerobatics right:). I absolutely do that but am working on the 3D part and am progressing very well. I want to go bigger mainly because when I watch them they are far more stable than my small one and much more graceful doing it. Again just planning and will keep watching the various thread on each of these suggestions. May pop a question or two in here and there on more specifics than these general ideas I have now. I don't think I know enough specifics to answer all the great questions you have right now but will think about it. I usually over think stuff before buying and maybe research way too much :). I'm sure I will be extremely happy with whatever one I get. Just saw a used 74 3dhs edge up in sac that looks good but is electric so hard one. Looking hard at 83 EF MXS last night. They all look great right now so hard choice! Wish I could have one of each. Thanks again for the time!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I am a happy dle 35 owner but I think the DA is better... especially out of the box. It had more power and can spin a little larger prop.

It really depends on what airframe you choose. If you go with one of the larger EF planes you will likely feel a dle 35 is under-powered... especially with a stock muffler. A 3dhs or similar size 30cc plane is great with the dle.

I feel the DLE is a great choice for a guy like me who is always on a budget and likes nice things. My DLE has been a great power plant for four different airframes up to about 12 pounds. I recently had a nose - in crash that had me replacing bearings and some other parts. While it was apart I put in a bowman ring. That really woke the motor up. It loves a falcon 19x8 prop and will probably be good with a 20x8 after this ring breaks in.

If I was buying a new dle 35 today I would replace the ring before the first flip. It ran very well on the stock ring, but the bowman ring is a really great upgrade in overall performance. At about $18 shipped it is well worth it and it can be replaced easily in less than an hour.

If you go with the DA you will have a little more power and no need for replacing a ring.

3dNater

I know this isn't an EF plane but I just thought I'd post it to show my dle 35 in action. This aerobeez extra is 71" and is built light. I have not weighed it but I am sure it is 10.5 pounds or less. This flight is also the third flight on the new ring so it is what you would expect from the engine brand new with the bowman ring installed. Aerobeez 71 Extra second flight: http://youtu.be/rerT7Qdf2bI

ryan_m

100cc
I own a DLE-35 and two DA-35's. The DA-35 will put out a bit more power than the DLE, it's also a lot more responsive. DA worked long and hard on a new ignition system for the 35, and it shows. It's a snappy responsive engine that starts very reliably. Those are good things for gas planes!
I have no compaints with the dle-35 however, and I think it's a great engine. But as 3dNater said, the EF 74" Laser and 76" MXS are big planes, and you will want all the power you can get on them. If you can swing it, the DA is worth the extra dollars in my opinion. But the DLE will definitely get the job done as well and either one will have you enjoying a larger plane!

You are absolutely right about the larger planes being easier and more graceful than the smaller counterparts. But along with that comes a lot of added weight, and when you botch a maneuver close to the ground you will find that weight a hindrance as it takes a bit more airspace to recover. So be a bit cautious before getting right down on the deck with them at first!

dth7

I am a happy dle 35 owner but I think the DA is better... especially out of the box. It had more power and can spin a little larger prop.

It really depends on what airframe you choose. If you go with one of the larger EF planes you will likely feel a dle 35 is under-powered... especially with a stock muffler. A 3dhs or similar size 30cc plane is great with the dle.

I feel the DLE is a great choice for a guy like me who is always on a budget and likes nice things. My DLE has been a great power plant for four different airframes up to about 12 pounds. I recently had a nose - in crash that had me replacing bearings and some other parts. While it was apart I put in a bowman ring. That really woke the motor up. It loves a falcon 19x8 prop and will probably be good with a 20x8 after this ring breaks in.

If I was buying a new dle 35 today I would replace the ring before the first flip. It ran very well on the stock ring, but the bowman ring is a really great upgrade in overall performance. At about $18 shipped it is well worth it and it can be replaced easily in less than an hour.

If you go with the DA you will have a little more power and no need for replacing a ring.

+ 1 on Nates comments plus doing a reed block inspection and sanding if necessary. I have a DLE 35 mounted on an EF 78 extra with a CF ES 40 tuned pipe turning a Falcon 20x8. It is reliable and produces plenty of power. I did the ring and reed block before the first flip. It has started on 2-3 choked, 2-4 unchoked starts from the start. Very pleased.

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
You guys have all missed my point! I don't care about 3DHS, Horizon or Joe Blow RC!

I paid the exact same price to ship a huge 3 box EF 91" EXTRA 300 AND a EF 78" Extra 300, both on the same order, same time to the same address, commercial: Shipping cost total: $120

Then I ordered a single plane, EF 74" Laser, shipped to the same address, commercial: Shipping cost total: $120
Something is seriously wrong with their system when they charge me the same $120 for 2 far different orders.

Sad but true. Ken

They both shipped freight hence the same cost. The difference between freight and ups or fed ex is much different. Hence why the guys have said to try to do a big group by to save on shipping. Seems very easy to figure out to me.

If you venture into the bigger EFs you will certainly want a piped setup or the VVRC-40. Then the cost difference is only $100 between the two motors and you can get $45 off that if you buy it at a trade show like Toledo, WRAM, or the AMA show. They give 10% off a package if you buy a prop and exhaust which the header counts.

The only gas motors I have not had any service issues with have been a DLE-55 and OS GT33s.

The choke setup on the DA is completely stupid and frustrating, but that is my only real gripe so far.

Option B, at least with the MXS, is to put a DLE-55 or DA-50 in it. A few of them out there now. Cheaper than the piped 35.