• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
What exactly are you saying Ray? That those who don't have EF planes bash their shipping prices out of spite?

Bashing and spite was never words I used nor implied . My post was about your comment of what people are willing to look over. That look over as I refer is different for different people. That works both ways as people always try and justify their decisions.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
To me this is one of those situations where the fans of a certain brand are willing to over look the expense because they love the planes (and rightfully so).

Possible, but I disagree. Two of my favorite planes right now are the EF 78 Extra 300 and the 3DHS 74 Edge 740. Are they the same size? No way, and this is why I mentioned fuse length in my other post. The 3DHS 74 Edge is 69 inches while the EF 78 Extra is as long as my Godfrey 85 inch Extra 300 (76 inches), which needs at least a 55cc engine and is at 17 pounds dry. The MXS is 78 inches.

My buddy Frank has a BME-58 Xtreme in his 78 Extra with a 23x9 CF Falcon. There are a lot of guys with the DA-50 in the 76 inch MXS with a 78 inch fuse. In the meantime, guys on the 3DHS 74 Edge thread are still arguing that a 6S setup to 2250 Watts is "just fine" for the plane. It's clear to those of us that own both planes that the 78 is not in the same size class as the 71 Slick, the 72 330SC, and the 74 Edge. The 70" Extra 300 EXP is, and it's less expensive than those three, delivered. This is why the comments about shipping costs make no sense to me.

When the new 330LT comes out, I'll bet it's about 70 inches without the wing tips, comes in at under 11.5 pounds, uses one servo on the joined stab, and fits right into my SUV, just like the other planes with a 69 inch fuse. This makes it attractive to me, and on my short list, but it's not in the same size class as my 78, and I would not like it too much if the delivered cost comes in really close to the delivered cost of the 78. I would predict, tho, that the product plus shipping cost of this smaller plane will be about as much as the bigger 74 EXPs. Let's see what happens, and we can pick this conversation up again then.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Bashing and spite was never words I used nor implied . My post was about your comment of what people are willing to look over. That look over as I refer is different for different people. That works both ways as people always try and justify their decisions.

thanks for clarifying... i wasn't exactly sure what you meant.

I'll also admit that I sucked it up and paid the $128 to ship a 74" Laser to me, so I could compare it to other airplanes of similar size that I have and have had.. I've got a few flights on it and it's an amazing airplane. However, it's not soooo much more amazing than other planes of similar size and price so as to justify its shipping cost that is double it's competitors. I would love to see two things from EF:

1- put up a shipping calculator. Others do it... figure it out. I shouldn't have to commit to a purchase without knowing the bottom line price.

2- Get the shipping prices on their larger 7X" planes down some. Work with the factory to condense the boxes some. A call to UPS to figure to the H-W-L limits they obviously exceed to get into the obscene dimensional weight class would likely give them something to work from. Also... hate to say it, but they may not be getting the best deal out there on shipping. Many of their competitors work with shipping companies to get generous discounts in exchange for their business... maybe EF could shop around for a better rate?

Possible, but I disagree. Two of my favorite planes right now are the EF 78 Extra 300 and the 3DHS 74 Edge 740. Are they the same size? No way, and this is why I mentioned fuse length in my other post. The 3DHS 74 Edge is 69 inches while the EF 78 Extra is as long as my Godfrey 85 inch Extra 300 (76 inches), which needs at least a 55cc engine and is at 17 pounds dry. The MXS is 78 inches.

My buddy Frank has a BME-58 Xtreme in his 78 Extra with a 23x9 CF Falcon. There are a lot of guys with the DA-50 in the 76 inch MXS with a 78 inch fuse. In the meantime, guys on the 3DHS 74 Edge thread are still arguing that a 6S setup to 2250 Watts is "just fine" for the plane. It's clear to those of us that own both planes that the 78 is not in the same size class as the 71 Slick, the 72 330SC, and the 74 Edge. The 70" Extra 300 EXP is, and it's less expensive than those three, delivered. This is why the comments about shipping costs make no sense to me.

When the new 330LT comes out, I'll bet it's about 70 inches without the wing tips, comes in at under 11.5 pounds, uses one servo on the joined stab, and fits right into my SUV, just like the other planes with a 69 inch fuse. This makes it attractive to me, and on my short list, but it's not in the same size class as my 78, and I would not like it too much if the delivered cost comes in really close to the delivered cost of the 78. I would predict, tho, that the product plus shipping cost of this smaller plane will be about as much as the bigger 74 EXPs. Let's see what happens, and we can pick this conversation up again then.

sounds good.

Ken Cz

30cc
OK - here, simple as possible is where I am coming from on the last 3 Extreme Flight airplane I ordered:
1. All shipped to the same address.
2 OCT 2013: Ordered on the same order: 1 EF 300 91" 60cc Extra AND 1 EF 300 78" 35cc Extra: Total shipping cost for both: $120
3.NOV 2014: Ordered: 1 EF Laser 74": Total shipping cost for one: $120.

Another words: I paid the same price to ship a huge 3 box 91" Extra PLUS and 78" Extra as I just paid to ship a single box 74" Laser.I don't care what other companies charge. I am only talking about Extreme Flight and there is obviously a problem, or just another way to charge you more and increase profit margin.
Sad but true. My last Extreme Flight if this is the way they operate. 25% the cost of the airframe to ship a single box 74" Laser is ridiculous.

AKfreak

150cc
I got pissed off exactly like you are. I paid $160 to ship a 76" airframe. I have a plane 73" extra (much smaller but a 2 box plane) that was shipped and is still shipped anywhere in the USA for $45 bucks. I don't know how exactly these entry level companies ship stuff so cheaply, I just I is they do. I know the guys at EF know shipping costs are a problem. After I placed my order I wanted to verify shipping costs and finalize my MXS order. When Curtis told me the shipping costs I paused, and before I responded, his words were, "Do you still want the plane".

I can only imagine they lose a lot of sales to high shipping costs. However there are always going to be people like me that are willing to eat that cost to get exactly what they want. It took a while to get over paying that much for shipping. I will say all the anger and feelings of being taken advantage of went away the first time I flew my MXS.

I dint think I will pay for another a EF plane to be shipped, I'll try to make it to an event and ask them to bring it with them for me. EF hast to find a creative way to lower shipping costs. Heck to me ignorance is bliss. If they charged $80 more for my plane, and charged me $80 to ship I would of been much happier.

I just can't figure out who General, RC jets world, ect... Can ship 35-50cc planes across the country for $35 - $55 bucks. My 35cc extra was $245 shipped to my door. I know it doesn't fly like an EF, but it has about the same amount of balsa, covering, fiberglass, and hardware yet it's 1/3 the total cost.

I didn't come to to bash EF, I love EF. I just want to know in my mind there us a legitimate reason for this cost of shipping issue that arises again and again in not only thus forum, but every one I frequent. So to all of you EF fans, I am with you. I love extreme flight the most of all the RC planes made today. I wish I could own one of each of them.

Those other companies absorb the cost into their pricing. I priced out the Laser box on Fedex and it was even more. Another thing is that some of them use greyhound to ship 50cc stuff which is a whole other deal.

I just shipped a 60" yak to AZ and even with my wonderful discount I get from work it was double the UPS cost. FedEx ground was over $100 which I don't get the discount on. Shipping companies are issue here as well as the dimensions of their boxes.

I looked closely and the laser box and there really is no good way to make it smaller as the cowling does fit neatly in and the wings sit on top.

USPS tends to be cheaper, but their insurance and damage policies are not as business friendly and that is why so many companies use UPS.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Maybe it doesn't need to be "smaller" but rather longer or thicker or whatever. Just need to figure out which dimension is busting the limit and then redesign the box.

Also, FedEx's published prices (consumer) are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than biz pricing.