• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

gyro

GSN Contributor
If you venture into the bigger EFs you will certainly want a piped setup or the VVRC-40. Then the cost difference is only $100 between the two motors and you can get $45 off that if you buy it at a trade show like Toledo, WRAM, or the AMA show. They give 10% off a package if you buy a prop and exhaust which the header counts.

The only gas motors I have not had any service issues with have been a DLE-55 and OS GT33s.

The choke setup on the DA is completely stupid and frustrating, but that is my only real gripe so far.

Option B, at least with the MXS, is to put a DLE-55 or DA-50 in it. A few of them out there now. Cheaper than the piped 35.

A used da-50 with side dump sells for less than a new da-35 with no muffler.

AKfreak

150cc
My DA50 in the MXS is fantastic, it isn't what I expected. I expected it to be so fast that I would damage the plane if I go too fast. Well the thing isn't a speed daemon at all. It however does have power for days. Once the plane is moving, it will climb at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. When I try to harrier, it's tricky to maintain altitude, it wants to climb. Punch out is a lot like my electrics. I can fly 16 mins of mostly a WOT, and land with a small reserve. I just love this plane motor combo

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
A club buddy has the DLE-60 twin on a 19 pound airplane, and it's running really well, but not swinging a very big prop, not very compact, and not very light. We always ran a 23x8 beech on the DA-50, and sometimes the 23x8 Laminated Xoar for IMAC, but he settled on the 22x10 standard Mejzlik on the DLE-60. Not really the prop for me on that size plane but seems to work fine for him.

Everything I have read about the DLE twin says stay away. If you want a 60cc twin go with the DA-70 all day long. It spins 24-25" props on stock and 25-26" on pipes.

The PTE-72 has had issues and I would expect it to goto a V2 as the person I sold it to has already had to do a warranty claim on a motor that had 2 flights on it since I got it back from a different warranty claim.

If you want to be a early adopter you can try the EME-70.

All of these motors are in the same weight class as the DLE-60 or maybe even lighter.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Yeah, it makes sense. If you like to tinker with engines, there are a few upgrades you can do to any DLE that will make it better and perhaps last longer, but once you do that, you probably would spend about as much as you would have on a DA in the first place. That's what happened to me, so it's no longer one of my options. I've heard from a friend and a good source with plenty of experience that the DA-35 is the "real deal", and I know the DA-50 is, so it's nice to see new planes for this power class. But if the twin DA-70 is anything like the twin 120, I'd personally find a plane to fit the engine as opposed to buying the plane first. They seem to be that good, and selecting a plane to fit these engines will eliminate a lot of disappointment, IMO.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Yeah, it makes sense. If you like to tinker with engines, there are a few upgrades you can do to any DLE that will make it better and perhaps last longer, but once you do that, you probably would spend about as much as you would have on a DA in the first place. That's what happened to me, so it's no longer one of my options. I've heard from a friend and a good source with plenty of experience that the DA-35 is the "real deal", and I know the DA-50 is, so it's nice to see new planes for this power class. But if the twin DA-70 is anything like the twin 120, I'd personally find a plane to fit the engine as opposed to buying the plane first. They seem to be that good, and selecting a plane to fit these engines will eliminate a lot of disappointment, IMO.

At least in my experiences with it thus far, the DA-35 is definitely the real deal!

sr175

30cc
I came across a dle-35 for $295 shipped last night. I already had read the article on the ring and reed upgrade which is another $15. That's a pretty good deal. Aeroplayin is right that with regular price then you are not that far off from a DA. I know around the club the DLE-35 has a good reputation and what I have read very little negative so will probably pull the trigger on that one. I have heard plenty of negative about the dle-30 around the club but there was a fix for that but would rather stick with 35 for now. Maybe Ill get a heavier plane in future but based on one of the previous comments and this motor there is a 74" plane I am eyeing but it's out of stock like usual :(. Gives some time for some of the new planes to come out that have been talked about anyway. Would be interested in used but they are far and few between locally.