• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 88" Edge -- now with EXP sized horizontal stabs

I'll take some photos and document my mod of the 104" extra rudder to be removable, as the procedure is the same.

Thanks! I appreciate that. I've been wanting to get a EF plane and I really like their 88" Edge. Only down fall for me is that the rudder is not removable. I need it to be removable for transportation reasons. The removable rudder is one of the main reasons why I like the Pilot 30% Edge and the 3DHS 92" Edge. I emailed EF today and Curtis replied stating that I could probably modifiy the rudder so it could be removable but he's never done it before. Great people there at EF. I stopped by there shop last year when I was visiting some friends in GA. Not much to see but a bunch of boxed up planes in a warehouse. They were nice and welcoming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me how wide the inside of the cowl is? Wondering if a DLE60 twin would fit? Never mind. I found the info I needed.

Mine is done. Fired her up today and after fighting with my small twin to get it to start the first time it was a pleasure to flip it three times to pop and two to run! What a sweet running engine. If the weather cooperates this weekend should be a blast! Mejz 24X10 standard. Da-70 on stock mufflers. It should be a 3D beast!

Love it man. That setup looks awesome. I'm building a CARF 2.3m Edge that I was planing on putting the DA70 in it but now is might have to go in the 88" Edge first! Other option is just put a DA60 in the 88" Edge or try the DLE60 twin.

RKEstes

50cc
Love it man. That setup looks awesome. I'm building a CARF 2.3m Edge that I was planing on putting the DA70 in it but now is might have to go in the 88" Edge first! Other option is just put a DA60 in the 88" Edge or try the DLE60 twin.
[MENTION=2522]RC_Feen[/MENTION] It's an awesome combo. Yes you only have to relieve the left side of the cowling. Tons of power especially mid-range and it's just getting stronger every flight. You will love it.

Thanks for the feedback RKEstes! I have a VVRC 40cc twin on the way to put in my 74" Edge 540. How do you like having two different class sizes of planes (30cc & 60cc)? Looking at the 78" extra and the 88" edge the size difference is not that noticably different. Can you tell a difference in size when you fly each of them? Largest plane I've flown has only been my 74" Edge. Thanks!

RKEstes

50cc
There really is a difference. I could haul the 78 easily in my truck and now that I have the 88 I own a trailer! It's a much larger airframe than the 10" difference in wingspan would lead you to believe. I am really enjoying both airframes as they are really two different animals in flight. The 78 is fast and sort of a hot rod and the 88 is just like it's smaller brother. It's the unfair advantage in that it is so easy to fly it makes me look better than I really am.

3dbandit

100cc
Thanks for the feedback RKEstes! I have a VVRC 40cc twin on the way to put in my 74" Edge 540. How do you like having two different class sizes of planes (30cc & 60cc)? Looking at the 78" extra and the 88" edge the size difference is not that noticably different. Can you tell a difference in size when you fly each of them? Largest plane I've flown has only been my 74" Edge. Thanks!

As said by RKEstes,
the 10 inches makes a huge difference.

When considering the size difference in airplanes, you need to analyze not only the difference in length and wingspan, but the difference in displacement.

It is kinda like boats. A 28 foot boat doesn't seem that much bigger than a 27 footer, but it will definitely draw much more water.
Larger airplanes, if even only a few inches bigger, can fly very different than the smaller ones. The bigger planes (usually) have more mass per inch of wing area; they generally track straighter, are more stable, and are easier to fly.

There really is a difference. I could haul the 78 easily in my truck and now that I have the 88 I own a trailer! It's a much larger airframe than the 10" difference in wingspan would lead you to believe. I am really enjoying both airframes as they are really two different animals in flight. The 78 is fast and sort of a hot rod and the 88 is just like it's smaller brother. It's the unfair advantage in that it is so easy to fly it makes me look better than I really am.

As said by RKEstes,
the 10 inches makes a huge difference.

When considering the size difference in airplanes, you need to analyze not only the difference in length and wingspan, but the difference in displacement.

It is kinda like boats. A 28 foot boat doesn't seem that much bigger than a 27 footer, but it will definitely draw much more water.
Larger airplanes, if even only a few inches bigger, can fly very different than the smaller ones. The bigger planes (usually) have more mass per inch of wing area; they generally track straighter, are more stable, and are easier to fly.

Thanks for the feedback...I have the EF 88" edge on my radar. Need to finish my 74" Edge and my CARF 2.3 first. If I do get the 88" Edge I want to make the rudder removable for transportation reasons unless I buy a trailer.

B and E Graphics. I went for a minimalist look on the graphics from B and E. I really wanted to try to mimic the graphics from a full scale Edge but they are all covered with advertising these days!

Hey RKEstes...did you buy the dash, pilot and deck all seperate or did all that come with the plane? Thanks!