• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

AKfreak

150cc
Not really a review Per Se, but here is me trying to explain the Secraft Ruder Cable Tensioner setup. This video is some content I gathered for a basic build thread I plan to do when I am done with the MXS. I know it isn't going to be helpful to all you guru's and such, but someone might like to see whats going on with this setup.
[video=youtube_share;zHloZRpS9NU]http://youtu.be/zHloZRpS9NU[/video]

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
So Jim are those screw screwed to the servo arm or did you drill a clearance hole and use the locking nuts?

They are threaded and nutted... this configuration also gives me the ability to quickly check the connection just by running my finger over the nut to feel the screw end. I've never really been a fan of pull-pull but only one plane I have over 60 inches has a push-pull servo in the tail now, so I'm getting used to it, but still use a belt and suspenders when assembling the cable and arms. :)

Aeroplayin.......I do not remove the covering at the crimp. I feel that it is lighter than steel cable but Have never weighed either. Originally I used Kevlar to work on a glitching problem back in the 72 MHz days. Also less worry with this product about the abrasive nature of Kevlar rubbing on the other line or at the fuse exit. I use the .058 on anything gas powered.
Richard

AKfreak

150cc
Here is a place to by Kevlar cord and crimping sleeves. Seems cheaper than the RC packed stuff.

15416067767_95d0520524_b.jpg

As to the weight of a set of 1mm pull pull cables, they are less than 10 grams.

AKfreak

150cc
Frank got back to me and this is what we're using from McMaster-Carr.

The cord I'm using looks like it's probably the 0.038" width, which is about 1mm. I'm going to order some and will confirm this.

Let us know khow it goes, I like to save weight anywhere I can. Speaking if weight, I weighed mine tonight and with everything except for gas it weights 12.84 lbs. I have a 16 oz tank that I will but 12-13oz in. That would put be just under the magic 14 lb mark. I say that's not to bad with a DA-50 in it. Also Ill pick up a few more .oz's with my graphics package on it.

15418799197_63f56160cb_b.jpg

I left off the landing gear sleeves, but I think this plane needs them. Ill put them on s soon as I get my replacement wheels that still haven't arrived.

15418967847_70d849335f_b.jpg

I do think its a nice looking plane, but I have a theme in mind and I am still trying to make it work on paper.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Nice... and I like the weight too. You're about 5.6 oz lighter than I would be if our empty airframes were the same. Any specific mods you did to get it to that weight?

AKfreak

150cc
Nice... and I like the weight too. You're about 5.6 oz lighter than I would be if our empty airframes were the same. Any specific mods you did to get it to that weight?

Left off the LG covers. I ground down every washer, and turned down socket head cap screws on the motor mount. Turned down the DA stand offs a little. and since I am using the Tech Aero Ibec, I lost a battery (only use two). Also chose nice slim 2S life packs that are light compared to others I own. I was careful to get servo leads that are the exact length. I used spyderwire instead of heat shrink on the servo lead connections as keepers. I built my own Gas tank (super light weight). Basically I was mindful of every aspect of the build to make sure the weight was kept to the minimum. 5 oz that seems like a big difference, but I guess all the little stuff adds up.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
I need to weigh mine, I have no clue what it weighs in at. DA-35 w/ES Composite pipe. I need to add the gear fairings also.

20140814_133051.jpg