• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

I left mine off and the pants. I fly basically only off grass but I agree the cuffs look nice. They are going onto the 74 laser for sure.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Left off the LG covers. I ground down every washer, and turned down socket head cap screws on the motor mount. Turned down the DA stand offs a little. and since I am using the Tech Aero Ibec, I lost a battery (only use two). Also chose nice slim 2S life packs that are light compared to others I own. I was careful to get servo leads that are the exact length. I used spyderwire instead of heat shrink on the servo lead connections as keepers. I built my own Gas tank (super light weight). Basically I was mindful of every aspect of the build to make sure the weight was kept to the minimum. 5 oz that seems like a big difference, but I guess all the little stuff adds up.

5-6 ounces is a big savings because it's 13.34 pounds with 8 oz of fuel with the equivalent power of 300+ Watts per pound with a 23x9 CF Falcon. That's a power loading that may just put this baby over the top for me because it moves it up on my PAR list to between the 60 Laser EXP and the 3DHS 74 Edge. Wing loading and cube loading are way down, and now I see why Chris H told me the plane can feel too floatie by going below 13 pounds for some people. Hmmmmmm.....

The red one is growing on me and calling my name now. Frankjp wants a yellow one so maybe we'll do a joint shipping thing to my buddy's shop and save $150. He's still making some mods to the BME58 Xtreme and testing it on the 78, and I'm thinking about an R-50 again. Both engines are lighter than the DA-50. Just loved that little, light, powerhouse, and it was the quietest engine I ever had on a stock muffler, which is a wrap around Pitts from the same company. Not cheap, tho.

AKfreak

150cc
The only thing I want to say is ground clearance. I run a 22x8 on my DA-50-R and while I do have clearance, I need to be mindful to keep the tail pinned then taxiing around, I'd hate to eat up a prop on a ground strike. I think I'll be switching props yo that Vess carbon fiber one after I get a feel for this plane. That prop, and maybe a CF spinner will shave a tiny bit more weight. I think I could shave another .oz or two if it was life or death, lol

That BME 58 extreme looks awesome in specs, what is an R-50?

It is cheaper than the GT60 I bought just because it is quiet. I am swearing off buying anymore singles. Be nice to not be the beta tester on a setup.

Which Vess Stealth do you want to try? I have a 22B that will be dormant for the winter.

AKfreak

150cc
I wanted to try the stealth 22b or a, also wanted to look at the Menz 23x8 because I hear a 23" from Menz is like a 22" from everywhere else.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
So the 50r us a little heavier than the da50, nice to have the extra power.

Since the stand offs are part of the engine, and the Pitts specifically related to the engine is also light, the AUW is really lighter than the DA50. Here are the size specs.

The other thing I like about it is that the nose is longer, placing the engine further back in the cowl, so there's a lot less cutting. It's a rear exhaust mount too so everything fits in a nice clean, narrow line, front to back. We ended up running Royal Purple in it and dropped the temp and raised the RPMs on it. Feels like I'm talking myself into another one, but I haven't gotten any emails back from the new US distributor so I may dig out the company contact info I have around here somewhere. Here's a pic... Revolution R-50.JPG

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Aeroplayin.......I do not remove the covering at the crimp. I feel that it is lighter than steel cable but Have never weighed either. Originally I used Kevlar to work on a glitching problem back in the 72 MHz days. Also less worry with this product about the abrasive nature of Kevlar rubbing on the other line or at the fuse exit. I use the .058 on anything gas powered.
Richard

Thanks... I didn't order anything yet, and I may go with the cord with the PVC covering. I'm just not sure if CA'ing the covering instead of the Kevlar is a good idea. But if I use the Secraft fittings, it really shouldn't matter (I think).

AKfreak

150cc
Since the stand offs are part of the engine, and the Pitts specifically related to the engine is also light, the AUW is really lighter than the DA50. Here are the size specs.

The other thing I like about it is that the nose is longer, placing the engine further back in the cowl, so there's a lot less cutting. It's a rear exhaust mount too so everything fits in a nice clean, narrow line, front to back. We ended up running Royal Purple in it and dropped the temp and raised the RPMs on it. Feels like I'm talking myself into another one, but I haven't gotten any emails back from the new US distributor so I may dig out the company contact info I have around here somewhere. Here's a pic...View attachment 31029

If I do another 50cc plane, I just might give that motor a try. I think I am going to land at the 35% size plane next. In my hangar I want a 20cc profile, 35CC electric and gasser, a 50cc gasser, and a 120cc gasser. And a whole bunch of foamies ;) That isnt too much to ask right? LOL