• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

SnowDog

Yesterday here was the numbers 4200mah total, I used 1002mah in 15:00 mins of flight that's using 66.8mah per min 66.8 x 40 mins is 2672mah of 4200 = 1528/2= 764mah left in each pack after 4-10 min flights. This is not good!
Today Here are the numbers. 4200mah total, I used 810mah in 18:00 mins of flight that's using 45.0mah per min 45.0 x 40 mins is 1800mah of 4200 = 2400/2 = 1200mah left in each pack after 4-10 flights. This is great! 1200mah is over 1/2 the capacity (1050mah) os the 2100mah packs.

If id did the math right, I am safe to fly 4-10 flights with Zero risk of battery failure. Basically each 10 min flight cost both my packs a total of 450mah. Also I just ordered 2 more packs in case I want to put in round robin flights all day long.

So did I do it right guys?

Sounds like you did the math right. One lesson learned from my mentor, John: always check the voltage in the packs after EVERY FLIGHT. Never assume...always verify. Odds seem to be much less with lipos and LIFE batteries but they can still go bad...so verify before each flight. I know this will not "guarantee" that the pack will not fail, but it "could" help identify an issue before you get in the air.

Got Alex to fly my 83 yesterday since no one would want to watch me fly it in circles :p
Shoddy camera work and other issues on my part lost some of the best parts of the flight unfortunatly

[video=youtube;3iyWCURNgMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iyWCURNgMc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I am just under a gallon now with my 40 and today was a great day for me and the motor. Using a Falcon carbon 20x9 I had been getting 7050 on the ground with some bounce just under but today it sounded different so I put the tach back to it and was a stead 7200 rpm.

Has anyone reduced the throws on their MXS? I know I suck at 3D but I can do some pretty good high energy stuff with my 60" Laser that when I try with the MXS it is just like those big control surfaces kill the energy. Most likely what is happening is my timing is way off. I can get it to KE spin nice but move the aileron just too much and wam I lost the tight wrapped turn as the wing is no longer pointing straight up.

Try a "mid" rate at around 40 degrees on ailerons. Anything above that is pure deflective force. I also found just SFGs only was my way to fly this plane. The tips take the roll rate down for me.

AKfreak

150cc
I am still loving mine. I can't say enough good stuff about this plane! The DA-50 doesn't seem to be hurting the airframe one bit.

Hey Fellas, I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase the 76" MXS. I was wondering if any of you can share some of your experience. Here are my questions.

1. I live in CA so shipping would be expensive. I'm considering asking EF to ship greyhound because it is only 80bucks. Any of you think this is foolish?

2. I was deciding on the Scorpion 5535-190 motor because I think the motrofly 5335 was too heavy but the 4330 may be a bit underpowered.. The 5535-190 at 3800 watts and 855 grams seems just right, but why hasn't anyone even mentioned it?

3. Lastly, what servos would your guys recommend? I like savox, but don't know whether coreless or brushless is better.

Any helpful advice that would prevent me from making a costly mistake would be greatly appreciated.

AKfreak

150cc
They will not ship GH. Yes it will be ridiculous to ship. I use a Da-50 for power and its perfect. Savox brushless are incredible. Scorpion focuses mainly on Heli motors. Thier airplane stuff seems to be heavy. If you buy the 50CC motrolfly you wont be sorry,but I see hacker is well liked. Electric motor and battery packages are going to be a problem with respect to weight, but flight times will not be so good unless you move to a 12S setup, then you need to invest a bunch in batteries.

I have a 12S electric plane. It flies well, but I haven't flown it since I got my MXS with a DA-50. However, I plan to fly it this weekend. Charging, storing, dealing with lots of packs, and short flight times aren't worth it to me. For small single pack planes, no problem. Giant scale electrics are a pain in the butt imo. Go GAS, and forget about it :)

Thanks for the sound advice. I read on this topic some got charged $500+ for shipping. Almost the price of the plane! Also, I'm allergic to gas but luckily I have 3 set of 12s 5000 batteries I plan to use. May I ask how much was your shipping and to what state?