• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 74" Laser

AKfreak

150cc
Bottom line is that you have plenty of capacity.
What this part of your post directed to me?

I do like how Life packs are much safer, I like how they keep their voltage at a more constant voltage. I just wish there was a way to know the exact voltage at all times so we would know exactly when it's time to charge. I do agree that using the amount in MAH you put pack via charging is the best way to deal with them. Over time I will assume we have to lessen the flight times as the battery will loose it's ability to hold a charge the same way as it was new.

Again thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. You are the man. T

My buddy runs LiFE in his big stuff and has a set number of flights before he recharges and likes to bum my battery checker for them. It is not the best data as it just has a discharge graph built in and it senses the third decimal point, but it is not as accurate as it is with lipos.

Last season I had bought a gorgeous Top Flite P-51 with a Saito 125 in it. It had sat around for a while as the previous owner was in a Motorcycle accident. I finally got it out one day and we tuned it on the ground. I was using the Nicd that came with it, and had charged it, but I did not cycle it. I had with me a LiFE to use, but the stupid retract servo only worked at 5V or less or something like that. I had even brought a newer retract servo to change out, but in the excitement of getting it going I went and flew it. Well after 5 minutes the Nicd just crapped out, and a spectacular crash ensued. I missed most of the Nicd era as I only flew a couple of Glow trainer planes before going to electric. Battery related losses are the hardest to take because they are just so easy to avoid.

SnowDog

Sigh...yes, Matt, I know too well "that of which you speak"...I crashed my old but realiable Avistar Trainer last weekend because of an old NiCd battery that took a dump after 5 mins of flying...as was yours, the crash was spectacular. :|
I'm not sure the young cub scout that I was training saw it that way (they felt responsible, but I set the student straight that it was my fault, not theirs). I even gave them the nicd out of the wreckage. :)
That was my last plane with NiCads, and it will be my last.
:facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

AKfreak

150cc
Nicad was the hot setup back in the day. I had this cox AWD chain driven car that cost $500 back in 1989. It was spectacular, I used to love cars. Indoor carpet, out door dirt racing, heck even slot drag and circle tracks were all a passion.

Those Nicads were expensive and developed memory so they were easily ruined if you were just starting out. I love lipos, and just getting started with life and A123 packs. I can only wonder what miracle of achievement is in store for us as battery tech continues to evolve. Heck, I wish SLA could be lighter than lipos and deliver the kind of current a lipo does. Dreams of the perfect battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine went on the left side of the motor box. Only place I could get it to fit other than in the tunnel, but I am using a pipe so that was a no go.