• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 74" Laser

gyro

GSN Contributor
Yes. It is a go pro strapped to my head. Nick is the other guy I am talking to. In the the third flight he is flying his nitro .50 heli.

I especially like where at 2:25 on flight 3 where I do some waterfalls, and some pretty extreme loops. My kind of plane. Insane pitch authority.

So Matt, what are your thoughts on the plane thus far aside from the pitch? :)

There is a lot going on with learning a new radio, new engine, new setup with the pipe, so I stuck to mostly stuff that involved keeping the throttle up. I tried a few snaps and I clearly don't have the rates setup correct for that. Maybe it is just the time I have spent with the new AJ Lasers as they excel at this. It is clearly fast and will have a ton of energy for XA.

I did not have the scale with me so no exact weight. It should have come out around 13 pounds. 7650 RPM on the Vess 20B on it.

I did not see any bad habits and it did feel similar to the 60" version, but I did not fly this like the 60" as I just don't have the confidence in the motor yet. I did not setup a idle down so on both flights 2 and 3 I just killed the motor to stop it from going and going. I need a idle down mix. The one bad thing about the Jeti is that the trims are just plain stupid. There is a cool auto trim function for the flight surfaces, but the throttle is a PIA to get to when flying.

gyro

GSN Contributor
There is a lot going on with learning a new radio, new engine, new setup with the pipe, so I stuck to mostly stuff that involved keeping the throttle up. I tried a few snaps and I clearly don't have the rates setup correct for that. Maybe it is just the time I have spent with the new AJ Lasers as they excel at this. It is clearly fast and will have a ton of energy for XA.

I did not have the scale with me so no exact weight. It should have come out around 13 pounds. 7650 RPM on the Vess 20B on it.

I did not see any bad habits and it did feel similar to the 60" version, but I did not fly this like the 60" as I just don't have the confidence in the motor yet. I did not setup a idle down so on both flights 2 and 3 I just killed the motor to stop it from going and going. I need a idle down mix. The one bad thing about the Jeti is that the trims are just plain stupid. There is a cool auto trim function for the flight surfaces, but the throttle is a PIA to get to when flying.

Is that RPM in flight or static?

Static. I don't know how to setup RPM telemetry from a DA ignition system. I can get a optical sensor. It has to be over 8k in flight as it unloads. The same prop does 7000-7200 static on my VVRC-40s depending on the day and tuning.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Static. I don't know how to setup RPM telemetry from a DA ignition system. I can get a optical sensor. It has to be over 8k in flight as it unloads. The same prop does 7000-7200 static on my VVRC-40s depending on the day and tuning.

Wow, 7600 static is nice :)

I suppose I need to tach my 20x9 falcon and see where it's at. [MENTION=14]hone1er[/MENTION] what rpm are you getting?

hone

150cc
Wow, 7600 static is nice :)

I suppose I need to tach my 20x9 falcon and see where it's at. [MENTION=14]hone1er[/MENTION] what rpm are you getting?
7460rpm with Jtec pitts muffler and 20x9.

7600 with the 20b is fantastic. Got me thinking about the tuned pipe again.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
7460rpm with Jtec pitts muffler and 20x9.

7600 with the 20b is fantastic. Got me thinking about the tuned pipe again.

So I admit that I am not as serious as you guys for having the absolute max power and I agree that the DA is more powerful than the VVRC 40. But is gaining 140 rpm's switching to a tuned pipe really worth it? I may be wrong also in what I just did but I ran in Jim's PropEngine a 20b (at 10 pitch) and tweaked the Kv to get as close as I could to your rpm's. To me switching from the Pitts to a tuned pipe is only a 1.4 mph gain and is actually 0.37 lbs of thrust less. I am not sure I understand how the thrust comes out less nor if I am using this calculator right. But if I am is the cost and frustration of the tuned pipe really worth it or what else am I missing?

Attachments

• Region capture 1.png
    Region capture 1.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 305
  • Region capture 2.png
    Region capture 2.png
    215.4 KB · Views: 280

hone

150cc
With the 20x9 Alan was getting a little over 7800rpm to get a better comparison to my 7460.
In the calculator it looks like you used 10 pitch for both props? I think the Prop K value needs slight adjustment too (1.05 for carbon 1.04 for Vess wood)

I was more thinking about how much I loved the 20b on the Extra at 6900rpm with the 40cc and how 7600 compares to that.

It's looking like the pipe actually provides a 300-400 rpm boost on the same prop as the pitts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
With the 20x9 Alan was getting a little over 7800rpm to get a better comparison to my 7460.
In the calculator it looks like you used 10 pitch for both props? I think the Prop K value needs slight adjustment too (1.05 for carbon 1.04 for Vess wood)

I was more thinking about how much I loved the 20b on the Extra at 6900rpm with the 40cc and how 7600 compares to that.

It's looking like the pipe actually provides a 300-400 rpm boost on the same prop as the pitts.

My bad Joe I looked to quick at yours and thought that was on a 20B as well, so there is a 1.98 pounds thrust and 8.47mph advantage.