• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T Assembly

gyro

GSN Contributor
I wanted to give an update on my plane. Pretty much ready to go but I have identified a problem (maybe) with my elevator servo. I have emailed Mike Mayberry but have not heard back from him and I will try calling Tower today if they are open. I think the problem might be a dead band issue but I don't know as none of my digital servos ever done this before. With everything powered up and the servos sitting in neutral I can take my elevator and move it up and down more than I would like. There is no slop in the linkages and I can see the servo arm actually moving back and forth. The first little amount of movement there is no resistance sound from the servo, then you can hear it. I removed the servo arm thinking that it might be a stripped broach on the 672 DuBro heavy duty arms but no they look great. I installed the short metal arm and the same thing. So at this point I am thinking gear lash but when I take the stick and move the control surface and try and move it I do not see this condition, so now I am thinking dead band. What really stinks is you buy $280 of servos and now I need to buy a programmer to fix what should be right from a new servo.

Ray, look at it this way, buying the programmer allows you to not only set the dead bands to a number you like, but you can also setup over current protection!
I know that doesn't fix the issue, but I was trying to give you a silver lining.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Well thanks for trying to brightening up the situation but the big picture still leave me in a bad place. I was so looking to flying all weekend. Starting tomorrow I am on all travel till March. PGA Show in Orlando next weel, LA after that and then 3-weeks in Asia. Going to be real hard to get this worked out and really not sure if it is a bad servo or if it is dead band.

hone

150cc
That really bites. I just checked my 7245s and there is some play but i have a little over 500 flights on mine. So the one servo definitely has more play than the rest? You could always open the servo up and have a look but i'd hate to do that to a brand new servo.

I definitely understand the frustration.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Sharing some PM's now with Mike at HiTec and he asked the amount of movement. I used my iPhone with the digital protractor and it worked pretty nice. Let the weight of the phone take the slop down to the bottom and zero out and manually move it up and there is 2.2º of movement before the servo makes a resistance sound. I am starting to think this is a lash problem as upon further checking it does do it at different throttle positions, just harder to check.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Well after talking with Hitec they believed the issue is a gear lash problem and not dead band. As these are brand new Tower is going to exchange this one. I will most likely purchase a HFP-25 programmer but not at the moment.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Wow the frustration grows. I called Tower today as I have not heard any on the status of my replacement 7245 and yep backordered. Looks like no maiden for a while because when it comes in I will be in Asia looks like.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Wow the frustration grows. I called Tower today as I have not heard any on the status of my replacement 7245 and yep backordered. Looks like no maiden for a while because when it comes in I will be in Asia looks like.

That sucks Ray... What about your LHS? Do they have one?

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Can you buy one elsewhere online, and just return the defective one to tower?

Tower already has the defective servo, they have had it since last Wednesday. I spoke with them Saturday and today and they still have not got to my request yet maybe tomorrow, and mind you they sent me the return paperwork. It is nice to be reminded once and a while who not to do business with. Sure I can buy another elsewhere but I am saving my funds for a new charger and I am not going to buy another $70+ servo. I will wait however frustrating as it is. It will all work out.