• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D EMHW 2.15 Ultimate

Well done. I have wondered if it was worth it to do a motor box like that. Might save a little weight. Also wonder if there is any strength advantages to it.

Well done. I have wondered if it was worth it to do a motor box like that. Might save a little weight. Also wonder if there is any strength advantages to it.

It would save a bit of weight, especially if the engine had a smaller mounting pattern. It would definitely be stronger to taper down to a smaller firewall. For the additional work involved it's pretty much something you'd do for fun, although I think I could do it much faster a second time.

On to the rudder servo mount. The ZDZ is on the light side and there's no pre-made mounting point for a push-pull so I'm installing a pull-pull mount in the same place as in their pictures.

Made two plates with 10mm squares in them and glued them in then epoxied square carbon fiber tube between and the plate for the servo in between the tubes. The plate for the servo has 8mm square balsa glued on the bottom to make a tight fit between the tubes and give the servo screws a little more to grab. It was already really strong twisting on a servo after dry fitting the tubes in so I think it will do nicely as well as be fairly light.

Edit: After letting the Epoxy set a little bit this mount is ridiculously strong. I can't get it to twist or bend in the slightest.

Attachments

• IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Got some carbon fiber wing tubes in. Nothing wrong with the aluminum in the kit, but they're only 16mm tubes so carbon is cheap. I should have measured the the aluminum more carefully because the tubes I bought are much thicker material and feel about the same weight. They are super stiff. Had to sand them down a hair and lost the shinny roll wrapped pattern, but they're lighter now! I've read never to sand the actual wing tube, but this one's a fair bit thicker than what I should have bought so lesson learned...measure things...

Installed the upper wing mount. They supply a nice jig so it's easy to install them and be confident the incidence will be correct. As a mentioned before the middle of the jig must be removed to sit flat (they show this in their pictures). Just had to be careful with the initial bending to try and keep the bends symmetrical. The hole for the wing tube is to be shimmed with a slice of the outer wing tube phenolic and once that's done I'll level the plane then level the tube and make sure it's at a right angle.

Now I can sheet the forward turtle deck. It's really tight getting to the mounting bolts for the wing mount, but I think I can get it on and off without putting access holes in the sheeting. Want to have the mount painted, but it needs to be in to sheet around it.

Attachments

• IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 420
^Awesome! What planes are you looking at? They've got a challenger that looks cool with a really fat fuse. Not too many companies making biplane kits, but EMHW has quite a few models.

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
I'll be tackling an older model actually, it's a **** Hanson Bucker " supermann" alnost a cross between a jungman and extra , but ill be using more modern construction techniques for it, so all the little details you and other builders are showing will be used with it. It'll be a ... plans assisted scratch build.. I guess you'd call it.
Keep the good info coming, it'll all be helpfull, my kit comes with a very limited instruction manual, pages like these are a great resource !

That's really cool, think I found a picture..looks like it would fly really nice. Would you fabricate all your own parts or have a kit cutter cut them?