• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

EME70 Twin

Depends on who you ask. Look at it this way. Do you fly at full throttle all the time?? That is the only place you will notice that difference. Divide that 500 RPM difference by the total RPM for each engine.....difference is a small percentage.

That is why I always say prop for performance you want. I like spool up and thrust.....you maybe like speed. Kinda goes back to building cars. Same engine in same three cars but one has 4:10 gears, one has 3:55 gears and one has stock factory 3:83 gears. One stomps it off the line and one kills the top end speed and the middle one buy's the beer. Kills me when people prop for the final few hundred RPM they can get on the top end (especially when it comes to some little 30cc china engine).
Ok, look at it this way, eme60 vs. Da60.
the most popular prop has to be the falcon 24x9. The DA turns 4 to 500 more RPM's on the ground. And without a doubt out performs hands down. Decrease the prop size on the eme increases spool up but effects ft lbs of torque which effects pull out and performance. I agree every engine should be propped for performance but I still believe rpms indicate power and ft lbs of torque can only be measured at peak rpm.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
You are correct. I guess my point is, but perhaps mis-stated in my 7-beers in logic, is that some may produce power at different points in the throttle curve. Perhaps a better comparison is the DLE120 and DA120, both spinning a 29x9 prop. The DA120 spins that sucker up like there is no prop on there and the DLE is just a fraction slower (by feel) but they both spin within a few hundred RPM's of each other at the top end. Which is "better"? That comes down to plane weight and flying style.

Oh, hell.......I'm hoping that EME70 spins up that 24x9 Falcon like a scalded cat myself.

Alky6

150cc
Ok, look at it this way, eme60 vs. Da60.
the most popular prop has to be the falcon 24x9. The DA turns 4 to 500 more RPM's on the ground. And without a doubt out performs hands down. Decrease the prop size on the eme increases spool up but effects ft lbs of torque which effects pull out and performance. I agree every engine should be propped for performance but I still believe rpms indicate power and ft lbs of torque can only be measured at peak rpm.

I would disagree. While the peak RPM is a convenient way to provide some type of benchmark, it doesn't tell the whole story. Just like an old school dyno that uses periodic rpm vs. torque to provide a power and torque curve, while useful, still doesn't tell the whole story. Today's dyno's, that I believe are much more useful - especially in racing - is the inertia dyno. How fast the engine can spool up at a specific load. That is hard to tell on the typical water brake dyno (at least without sophisticated computer controls). I guess the point being is you don't have the whole story. I believe Terry's point is that there is a whole lot more going on in the mid range the "peak" on ground rpm doesn't tell you. It might take 3 or 4 seconds longer to get there and the combination of engine inertial power curve coupled with the right prop is a story not told by the peak on ground test, IMHO.
-Paul

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Not disagreeing with anyone here. But look at the handling characteristic and ease of operation. This was taken in to account.
My EME 60 will allow all the hover pull out authority and 3D I can shove at it. I propped it for the plane. I am in no way a competition level 3D pilot but I am not a circle flyer either. The EME's are stroked and have a compression ratio that allows easy starts good torque and pretty decent transition. They give a really good idle and are what I call airframe friendly. The only problem first encountered was the rod bearing issue and some soft crank pins on first production engines. They do produce the thrust and torque which allow really awesome freestyle maneuvers. I used a pro flow can so I could extract all the available torque the engine can develop at any particular rpm setting. I see no reason the 70 and 35 should not follow suite. I believe that was Jeame's design goal from the get go. I am more concerned how this new cylinder coating is going to hold up with the abuse a typical modeler is going to throw at it. I also have had numerous 3 dubs over the years and I feel the EME 60 performed much better than the heavier 75 single I used to fly in a Bubba Spivy Edge 540 of days gone by.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
What are you putting yours on Monster? Just curious. This will be my third EF 88" edge and both others has 55's with proflows so I'm sure I'll be happy with the power. I'm going to cut out the can tunnel and do a couple other mods to shave a few ounces.

I know my EME 120 was a powerhouse but I think it was number 19 of the first batch over the pond and was eventually plagued with issues. I think the newer ones are doing much better.

I have not purchased one yet. I am needing the weight in the nose of my 88 edge and figured this would be a good engine to put in and beat the hell out of. The da 60 flys it great and with the parts you cut for me it is still the same weight. I am just needing weight up front. And I refuse to put dead weight up front like lead or something..

ryan_m

100cc
So almost a month since the last reply here... I've got a 3dhs 91" Yak 55 coming and thinking very hard about a twin. I hate all the vibes from a single cylinder motor, and the ever loosening mufflers. So this EME has my eye. Have heard from a few that a dle-55 leaves the plane tailheavy, so the extra weight on the twin will be welcome.

How are these motors holding up? Or is it too soon to tell, too few in the field and not enough hours on them?
Lots cheaper than the DA70. Bit heavier too it appears. But if the motor will hold up for at least 15 gallons of fuel, that's more than I'll ever put through it I'm sure. I have a habit of selling off planes after a year or two :)

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Here are your "popular choices" for 70 class twins.

1) Newest 3w 70 twin-$1245 engine and ignition only. (This is Classic series)
2) DA70 twin - $749 engine and ignition only
3) EME 70 twin- $459 engine, ignition, muffler and electric start ready.

Personally IMHO the best deal is a toss up between the DA and EME for the "average"flyer.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ryan, I'm really curious about it too... I'm looking for a price conscious twin in this size as well, for many of the same reasons as you: short ownership time / not a ton of use projected.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
If you guys do not mind me asking...What's so curious about the EME??? Or any other China motor that has become popular? I had a MLD 70 and a friend traded for it with out hesitation because it "fit his need". Only reason I traded was for the way the plugs are angled and the prop drive's are drilled at a different center than DA, DLE and EME.