• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Delro Raven 3.1M build

Jlc

70cc twin V2
Terryscustom;13182 wrote: Um, yea! All the builders are here now!!

Nice looking plane jlc! But pre sheeted foam.....that's just cheating! For your control horn blocks there are a couple of good ways. I use square blocks of balsa hardened with thin foam safe ca and installed before the hinge-line stock. Then install the horns with epoxy....ARF style. I know Henry Piorun did it with some built up blocks with balsa and 1/16 ply if I remember correctly. That was on a carden pro. I'm out of town flying for the weekend but can send some references when I get home. Most of my pics are on "that other site". I posted pics there on a hyperlite slick thread most recently for control horn block installation.

Yes I admit it I'm cheating but I need all the help I can get.

Jlc

70cc twin V2
I found Henry Pioron method of building a control horn box and it looks great. He installs his before he puts on the LE also but I think I can install it from the top and make sure it makes good contact with the bottom sheeting and the LE.

Jlc

70cc twin V2
13357=7241-991A4D7C-FEA3-424D-AA44-4A3ED35C73CF.jpg
Well I'm preparing everything to start the control horns and already run into an issue. The horns provided with the kit are no way going to get pivot point over the hinge line. Should I get different horns or just install these?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Jlc;13357 wrote:
Well I'm preparing everything to start the control horns and already run into an issue. The horns provided with the kit are no way going to get pivot point over the hinge line. Should I get different horns or just install these?

I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but from everything I've seen they need to be at the hinge line for the geometry to be good.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Just looking at a picture I have here if my Carf it doesn't like it's at the hinge line, but it has the live upper skin hinge so I really can't tell in the pic. I'll have to take a look when I get home.

13366=7242-attachment-2.jpeg]
13366=7242-attachment-2.jpeg

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
I believe, and please correct me if im wrong here, that not having the control horn exactly or as cllose to exactly over the hinge line creates differential, more up than down in throws, you can eliminate that with most radios by limiting the throws and adjusting end points, if your using matchboxes it will get more complicated, it'll fly just depends on how precise of a bird your looking for.I wonder if the hinge stock width changed from kit to kit to push out the hinge line like that. Myself , id find a solution to get it centered perfectly, try to get all mechanicly / geometrically correct or you might be chasing a problem getting it trimmed out right.

Dont you just love these little challenges in the middle of a build !!

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Jetpainter;13366 wrote: Just looking at a picture I have here if my Carf it doesn't like it's at the hinge line, but it has the live upper skin hinge so I really can't tell in the pic. I'll have to take a look when I get home.

13366=7242-attachment-2.jpeg]
13366=7242-attachment-2.jpeg

My carf extra is the same way, that top hinged system actually needss diferential in it, talks about it in the manual even, I think mine is set for -2° opposite to keep a roll from barrelling out.