• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton Yak 54, 38% please submit suggestions here....

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm tempted to try that brand of paint. Is it single stage or do you clear it? I like to airbrush fun stuff so I need an actual basecoat / clearcoat. But it looks like they have the colors nailed.

It is epoxy paint, you have to mix the part a and part b, allow it to induce (20 to 40 minutes, depending on ambient temps), then you can thin with their reducer, or use a high quality lacquer thinner.

Nate, from Klass Kote has described and guidelines for using his paint.

He says:
1. Apply his primer, then after 4hours, can sand, clean up, then paint it.
HE wants us to paint it within 4 to 24 hours of applying the primer. HE states that you can achieve a chemical bond and also a mechanical bond, if done this way. After 24 hours, then it will only be a mechanical bond.

2. When applying paint, he recommends:
Film thickness should be built up by applying successive thin coats of paint and allowing about 20 minutes "flash off" time between coats.

3. After 4 hours, you can apply masking tape to the painted surface, if you then have to apply a different color.

4. You can use his clear as well. You can sand down the painted surface, then apply the clear. SO you must work fast if you want the chemical bond of all the layers!!!

You can use a brush, roller, airbrush, or HVLP gun to apply the paint. If you use an airbrush, you will have to significantly thin the paint.

hope I answered your question.

(and I am not an expert at this, but this is my 3rd airplane that I have painted with Klass Kote)

IMG_7639.JPG
the cowl and canopy are painted, every thing else is monokote.

IMG_2878.JPG

On this one, this is a 3W extra, and the fuselage is painted, only thing covered is the wings and stabs, everything else is Klass Kote paint.

the cowl is painted, minus the checker box. Waiting for the 1" wide vinyl tape from 3M. Should get here by next week, then I will be able to do the checker box in the front of the cowl, just 2 to 3 rows. Not certain yet.

IMG_8592.JPG
IMG_8593.JPG
IMG_8594.JPG
IMG_8595.JPG

Just a few minor things to do on the fuselage, then to cover the wings. I am still on the fence now, looking at it as it is, if I should put the black checker box on the front of the cowl???

IMG_8601.JPG
IMG_8602.JPG
IMG_8603.JPG

The wings are last on the build. Once I drill holes for the hinge points and bevel the hinge and sand the wings down, then I can cover them.

IMG_8609.JPG