• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton Yak 54, 38% please submit suggestions here....

i am using something different on this airplane, this is from White Rose Engineering/. It is a plate that helps distribute the forces evenly on the back of the firewall.

IMG_8244.JPG

this is in the front of the firewall. SWB mount. this also helps to distribute the forces/pressures on the front.

IMG_8246.JPG

here is the header/canister configuration. I need to lengthen both headers by 1", then I should be real good. My throttle/choke linkage is awful close to the headers, but, it is what it is.
IMG_8247.JPG

side view of the 2 in 1 headers...
IMG_8248.JPG

plenty of room for the mounts, just waiting for them to get here. Once I install the mounts, then the fuselage can be covered.

IMG_8249.JPG

I spoke to Tony, and he says, that both headers need to be same exact length, therefore, my hope of the stingers coming out together at same length is impossible. I will make stingers exit further back than the canister tunnel. I will have to construct a cover for this area, as well as sheet the floor. Should be fun. Due to the cylinders being staggered, there is not way the stingers can exit in same location distance from the front of the firewall.

IMG_8250.JPG

Not enough length!!! Once i lengthen it by 1", I should be good. Should arrive next week.

IMG_8251.JPG

IMG_8253.JPG

Headers come real close!!! But it is what it is. I cannot switch headers from right to left, this will not work out. HAs to be this way.
IMG_8254.JPG

The choke is now set up! And the headers do not touch it. It is close, real close, but at least 2 mm between the choke ball link screw and the header.

Next is to work on the Throttle arm. Trying to figure out how this will work, being that the header is much closer to this one.

IMG_8265.JPG
IMG_8266.JPG
IMG_8267.JPG
IMG_8268.JPG
IMG_8269.JPG

Cam, It looks like you are making the best of a very bad situation. The hotter the induction system is the harder it is to get consistent fuel mixture. With a four cylinder engine this will be even harder. I wonder why someone would do such a beautiful job of fabricating those stainless steel ( it looks like) headers without any regard for the induction system?

What works best is a thin sheet (.025 to .040) of aluminum between the headers and the induction system. It will be a PITA to make but will be a lot more effective than the header wrap. I'm also concerned about how well the plastic (probably a delrin derivative) ball links will do in that environment.

Just out of curiosity but would you have this problem if you went with standard mufflers?

Nope!!! No problem at all. However, with standard muffs, the sound level is much higher, not that this is a bad thing, with proper throttle management, you can still get good scores on sound during IMAC, just not me, I need all the help I can get.

Cam, It looks like you are making the best of a very bad situation. The hotter the induction system is the harder it is to get consistent fuel mixture. With a four cylinder engine this will be even harder. I wonder why someone would do such a beautiful job of fabricating those stainless steel ( it looks like) headers without any regard for the induction system?

What works best is a thin sheet (.025 to .040) of aluminum between the headers and the induction system. It will be a PITA to make but will be a lot more effective than the header wrap. I'm also concerned about how well the plastic (probably a delrin derivative) ball links will do in that environment.

Good observation Vern!! Some have complained of vapor lock. Well, I will try my best, with the baffles, to help improve the air flow thru the cowl. On my other Dalton, temps are in low 300's or high 200's on a hot summer day. Should be OK!! But i see what you are saying!!

I have same set up on my other Dalton with the ball links, with over 120 flights, so far, they have not melted. I will keep an eye on them though!

"temps are in low 300's or high 200's on a hot summer day. Should be OK!! But i see what you are saying!!"

Where are you taking these temps and with what measuring devise?

I have a radio system with real time telemetry. Also, it logs the data for me. During flight, i can tilt the transmitter, and it will read to me the actual RPM, voltage of each battery, the temperature of each cylinder, etc..., what ever other parameter I want.

IMG_6971.JPG

this 1st picture demonstrates my baffle plate. Air comes in thru the front and is pushed down between the plate and the cylinder fins. Very effective in cooling, there is also a Shroud that goes over this, makes it so that the air is pushed thru the plate only, and no where else. There are temp sensors on each cylinder.

IMG_6972.JPG

this is the shroud I am referring to. It is designed and built by Henry Piorun.

IMG_6973.JPG

IMG_6974.JPG

can you see your wheels!!!