• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Da-35

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Good to know, Thanks!

Enterprise:

Is your Small Pro Flow Can a front or rear dump? I can never remember the differences between the two. PM me what you want for it. I like the idea of a canister for reducing the sound without compromising power loss, and maybe lasting a while longer with heat? It sounds like there isn't really a power increase with the Can, where there Pipe actually does boost power and reduces sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
ES Composites Pipe ES35G: $205 + 12 S&H, 3.88oz, 2"DIA, 23.5"TE-LE Length - ES Comp recommends 27-28" header length from face of piston to first baffle. Although great results with full length header compared to cutting it (25mm drop). Seems to be the peoples choice based on how quite they are, and the noticeable boost in power they give.

Plane Blender 3D Pro-Flow Canister Small: $160, 7.4-7.7oz, 2"DIA, 12.5-14" Length, 30-35cc, Lifetime warranty, Made in USA. Seems that it makes it a bit quieter than a stock muffler? and does not boost power?

Jtec Pitts Wrap Around: $70-80, made in USA, weight? Basic Pitts Muffler, this is the most common muffler being put in the DA35, cheaper, and is a over good/reliable choice. It wont give any power gain noticeable... but the installation is simple, light, and proficient.

Just thought I'd put some specs out there.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Nick!

Ya man! I used to never post on forums... just steal information. But I like brainstorming with other people, makes the hobby more fun!!! Sounds like you're still on the fence with which one to get too. Any more thoughts?

I'm still at the beginning stages of building the EF Laser and the AJ Laser at the same time. The EF is getting the DA and the AJ is getting a DLE 35RA with stock muffler. I'm still wide open on the exhaust for the DA, but probably leaning towards a Pitts since the DLE will be loud anyway and I plane to fly them together. I also haven't decided on a prop and I'm not to keen on possibly having to adjust the header length to match each prop, that and the over all price of the pipe setup. How about you, maybe a can?

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Gotcha. The Pitts sounds the simplest and I don't think it'll be as loud as the DLE35RA based on the wrap around design, and suited with a falcon 20X9 it seems pretty unstoppable. There really isn't a whole lot of other people running a different setup right now and I would really rather not be the guinea pig that has to buy different props and play around with header lengths when dealing with a tuned pipe. The Canister would be the next candidate. While slightly cheaper, it doesn't sound like they'll be a whole heck of a lot quieter than the JTec pitts. There really isn't anybody doing testing with this motor yet. I am torn on my decision.

This guy on YouTube has a couple videos out for the PRO-RC Products Can & Smooth Pipe. He's running a Falcon 20X7 which seems small, and a MTW Header.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNZe57FuFuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcmG3zD8zlA

Cool videos, thanks for sharing. I'm leaning towards a wrap around Pitts for now as I am just not seeing s jump in performance and quietness to justify to "me" the additional costs. If it was more obvious or necessary for where I fly then I may consider a pipe/can setup more. Besides, I'm predicting with the motor/,airframe that I will be hanging around in the mid to low throttle ranges. Doing mostly low slow throttle bumps such as slow high alpha flying .

Last edited by a moderator:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool videos, thanks for sharing. I'm leaning towards a wrap around Pitts for now as I am just not seeing s jump in performance and quietness to justify to "me" the additional costs. If it was more obvious or necessary for where I fly then I may consider a pipe/can setup more. Besides, I'm predicting with the motor/,airframe that I will be hanging around in the mid to low throttle ranges. Doing mostly low slow throttle bumps such as slow high alpha flying .

I think I may have found the answer to our exhaust solution. JTec makes a "Large Wrap Around Pitts Muffler for DA 35". I passed over a few posts on rc groups and GiantScaleNews that mentioned this "large Jtec Can" I have no idea if there is any performance issues, but people say that it's super quiet.... it costs $139. I may go this route unless I find anything bad about it.

http://www.jtecrc.com/dawraparound.htm

Anybody here seen this, or have any performance data?

From VincentJ on RCG:
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel8or
@Vincent, at 12 lbs., can you feel the extra weight while flying?
Not one bit! That 35 has plenty of power to haul it around with authority! If you're going gas, the DA is the way to go...equipped with the larger can on the J-tech muffler it is super quiet as well.

I did see that one, but didn't give it much thought as well. If it fits without issue and is noticeably quieter without a reduction in power, then that sounds pretty good. I'd like to learn more about it. Quick side note, which prop are you starting with? Are you going with the Falcon 20x9? I'm a little undecided on the prop too as I've heard that the Falcon 20x9 is a nice yet fast prop and leaves a little to be desired for low and slow torque stuff and hover pullout. Obviously it's all opinion based though. I'm kind of leaning towards a Vess 20B myself as the price is right and once it's good and broken in then treat her to a nice to CF prop and maybe there will be more choices by then, still undecided though.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I have a Vess 20B just sitting at the house that would be perfect. I have heard that it is a lot louder than the Falcon 20X9, a bit less rpm, but performs excellent. I don't know how carbon props hold up to sucking up rocks, but I know the wood will dent and chip. Just lost a Vess 20A last week on my DLE35, because I ran it up to clear the carb and a rock nicked the last 1/8" of the TE and took a 4x1/8" sliver off of it. I would be worried about loosing my investment on a Carbon prop, so I'm probably going with a Vess 20B unless I go with a tuned pipe.